Epi Coustic Problems!

hey all im new to the acoustic scene, so watch out.... B)

I have an old 70's epiphone FT-140 that i have loved dearly for a loooooong time. The problem is, its startin to fall apart on me and i need some advice:

1) I think i need a new bridge because everytime i strum a chord, it makes a small rattle sound and it will not go away. it sounds like it could be coming from the bridge, but then again, what the hell do i know? so if i need a new bridge, what would be your suggestion(s)?

2) I like to play coustics with electric strings because i can fret them better. but i just put a new set on and the entire guitar goes out of tune after one song. it never did that to me before and i think it might be the tuners, but again, im not sure. If i need new ones, what kind??

Im pretty sure thats all thats going wrong with it, but if i come across another problem, ill be sure to let yall know! :D

cheers

Get an inspection mirror and look at the underneath-side of the bridge. I believe you will find both problems. The buzz/rattle could be loose fasteners or cracked bridging. The tuning problems are probly the string ends pulling up into the pegholes. The ends need to be wedged against the front edge of the pegholes so they don't enter the hole itself. Worn or bent pegs can cause this and it will get worse as the holes wear. It's an accoustic thing.

hey guys thanks for the advice! but last night i found another problem... :D i was trying to make sure that the buzz was from the bridge, when i noticed one of the screws connected to the bridge was loose. so i tried tightening it and it just plain fell off. with half of the thread still in the hole. this means i have to find a new bridge right???

Thats very likely where the original rattle was coming from. You don't need to find a new bridge, take it to a tech OR hang it on the wall. One of the bridge mount screws is broken off, you need to get the broken off threaded part out and replace the screw. Make sure you loosen all the strings to take tension off the bridge. Most of these acoustic bridge setups are machine screws (actually bolts) held on by nuts under the bridge plate. Reach inside the sound hole and locate the broken bolt w/ nut and pull it out. It might be a tight fit so a little persuasion from above will help. Then find a similar bolt that will fit the nut and reinstall. While you have your hand in there feel around for any loose bracing etc. components that might contribute to rattles and buzzing.

lol hey if i had the money to make or buy a new one, i would! but like many 15 year olds i am without a job and need an acoustic, so i think im just gonna replace some things and then go from there. o yeah! one more thing...some one told me that grover tuners are really nice, and they look okay to me. so my question is is there a certain kind of tuner for just an electric or one just for acoustic? and if you have any suggestions on which ones work well, do tell! :D

Tuners can fit on either electric or acoustic guitars. Grovers are a good choice, a little on the heavy side. Make sure the holes in the headstock are the right size, should be 25/64" dia. (1 cm) and you might have to add additional mounting screw holes. Did you get your bridge fixed?