If You Could Only Buy One Product......

stoo

Got the guitar to the 1200 grit wet sanded point. I checked at the local auto parts shop and the Mequiar's course,medium and fine polishing products are like $15 each!! Does some one know of a cheaper alternative? Turtle brand rubbing compound is $3.50! I even tried toothpaste, yes that's right tooth paste! and got surprising results

jan%20013.jpg

Thanx all!

stew

That tuner looks a bit for for the holes :D

Someone (Curtis P I think) had some quite good results using brasso (brass pollish that comes on cotton wool type stuff). He used it on the back of a neck to make it smoother.

WARNING: Get comfirmation before trying this as I wouldn't want to be responsible for anything happening to that lovely axe of yours.

I use Meguiars "Compound Power Cleaner" a lot. There are two that you should look for, the power cleaner, or the "Dual Action Cleaner/Polish". Both have "diminishing abrasives" which means that they start off strong and then the little polishing granules break down for the final polish. It's very pressure sensitive too, so you can vary your degree of cut just by applying more or less pressure, especially during the first few wet cycles.

Lots of times for re-buffs on Asian factory guitars that's all I'll use. I mean you have to follow it up with a polish to get a slickery finish, but the actual shine is totally usable without any subsequent grades.

It will be fine on softer nitrocellulose, but it can eat right through it. I don't know what finish you used, but if it's soft, you can still use this product just be gentle with the pressure. Be sure to go over it enough to break down the polishers

I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal System, the bottle with the Step 2 polish. Their products might be a bit pricey, but you have to consider how much you get. I mean, used properly, you could do a couple cars with one bottle, so how many guitars is that? I'd say its a quality "rub" for your guitar. If you don't plan on using it all then there is always that thing out there in your driveway. :D

Thanx Guys! I'll go look at the display rack again down at Lordco Auto supply. I don't mind buying one pricey bottle but I didn't want to buy a course, medium and fine all at $15 each.

BTW It's finished with Varathane(flecto) which is a water based polyeurothane so I don't know where it sits on the hardness scale.

thanx

Stew