Static Electricity

ballcapdan

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes............................

Tonight while playing bass at church, I heard a poping coming from my amp. After a while I figured out it was static electricity. As I would move my feet, and then touch my strings, it would pop. Is that a problem with the ground, or do I just need to get a different pair of shoes?

I appreciate the help. I'm not new to guitar, just to the electric side of it. :D

Does your bass have a pickguard on it? Sometimes those darn pickguards have a problem with static building up on them. Then, whenever you touch the strings, you get a popping noise, which is made worse by active pickups.

Oh, and uh, the shoes could be a part of it, too. :D

Edited by Paul Marossy

I don't have a pickguard. When I keep a hand on the strings, there is no noise, which leads me to believe that as the static electricity is generated, it is sent to ground. When I take my hand off the strings, and then place it back on, that is when it happens. I guess if it doesn't happen when I have my hands on the strings, then the ground is ok?

And new shoes.

Well, it could partly be due to your shoes. I think your ground is probably just fine. In the winter, when it's cold and dry, static electricity builds up easier. The only thing I can think of is that it's your clothing, shoes or your bass has a polyurethane finish on it that likes to build up a charge or something. It's probably more to do with ambient conditions than anything else. :D