My First Two Projects..

i-j-c

Ok, plans are finished and time to hit the wood store.

I will be making two at the same time...twins! One four string bass and 6 string guitar. The bodies and the headstock will be exactly the same for both..

I'll write this post for the benefit of others out there, who perhaps like me do not have many tools and not a great deal of money..well I say money I mean I'm working to budget..well I say budget, what I really mean is that I have a wife...who controls the budget allowed for boys toys!! :D

I'll post a full pictorial of the build as it progresses...

Here is how I start out - A4 paper, do some sketches...I then transfer this to the backside of a wallpaper (ideal and cheap) and do full scale drawings (and spend ages on the body design...so it looks 'in balance'). I then do scale drawings of the parts - headstock, body, profile etc..all are drawn, with measurements and are accurate. From this I then transfer it to MDF to make templates..

(I'll just add here that I can make full scale copies of my plans for anyone who wants them...for free - except you pay postage)

Next...the specs:

Guitar...

Body:

Two piece ash (european), quilted bookmatched maple top (3/8) - carved and natural binding - rear contoured

Neck: (25.5" scale)

Laminated maple/walnut/maple/walnut/maple - glued in join, 10 degree headstock, quilted veneer headstock. Ebony fretboard. Fibre optic side position markers..medium fretwire.

Hardware:

Locking tuners, wilkinson style trem, SD hotrails..bridge and neck, one volume, one tone (push/pull) mini three way. I will also fit my own design tremlock - which is simple but highly effective, fits in the rear cavity and can be turned on/off at any time..

Finish:

Dyed (not sure on colour yet), nitro laquer. Neck back will be sanded to remove gloss..

Other:

I will be making the pickup surounds myself from quilted maple...these will be recessed into the body and made the same colour as the body dye. I will also be making my own inlay for the headstock and the neck positions - this will be abalone..I will also be making my own Maple/brass knobs for the pots..

Bass:(34" scale)

Body: Two poplar wings...glued to through neck. Quilted maple top - uncarved rounded over...rear contoured.

Neck:

Laminate maple/walnut/maple/walnut/maple - single piece through neck 10 degree head. Quilted veneer on headstock. Ebony fingerboard. Fretless, with abalone fret markers (ie the frets). Fibre Optic side position markers.

Hardware:

Not decided on pups or tuners yet...or the bridge!!

Finish:

Dyed, nitro laquer, sanded neck back.

Other:

I will be making quilted maple pup covers (to completely cover the pups) - same dye as body...these will be ultra thin. I'll also be making the same inlay from abalone for the headstock..and again, knobs for the pots I will make myself..

I will post some pics of the scale drawing tonight or tomorrow if I can..

When I come to do the fibre work...someone asked if I could make a tutorial...I sure will if it will be of any use to members...

Cheers for now...Ian