Soaking Wet/dry Paper Overnight

doug

so it may be an odd question, but for years i've used the wet/dry paper to wet sand only soaking it while i'm using it with no aparent issues. what's the reason for soaking it overnight prior to use? i've heard it said many times.

-doug

ive heard it too, a luthier I know simply uses a squirt bottle and lightly squirts the area thats being sanded right before he sands it, what I do is I use 2 peices, let them both soak in the same cup for about 2 minutes then grab one and start sanding and when i feel the lubrication going away I grab the other one and put the one I was using back in the cup and alternate back and forth.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had posted a reply to this about a month ago but I don't see it so here goes:

The custom paint shop I worked in as a teen always kept their wet/dry in a sink full of dishsoap and water 24/7. I never questioned this practice cause I didn't want to look stupid but the shop-owners son showed me that the soaked paper wouldn't wrinkle or crease like fresh paper did, thereby giving you little scratches to try to get rid of. Convinced me but I still don't know the logic behind it.