Final Sanding Time

stoo

Hi everybody!

Doing the final sanding with 400 grit. Comming along fine but the clearcoat was heavily "orange peeled". Sanded mostly flat but there are still a few tiny shiny spots that are hard to sand out. Will these show up after the 600/1200 wet sanding and polishing ect. is complete? They are just pin head sized and I cannot feel them with my finger tips.

Thanx all!

stew

Yes they will. The will appear as little dimples when you look at the guitar in good light. If you want the finish to look proffesional you need to get rid of *all* the shiny spots.

What finish are you using? If it's nitro you can drop fill the few remaining pinholes, and then scrape them level with a razor balde, followed up with sanding/polishing.

Also, 400 grit is a pretty course paper to use for final sanding. I would only use it for knocking down high spots between coats. I try not to use anything coarser than 1500 after my final clear, or you spend forever trying to chase out the fine sandign scratches.

@Setch

400 is the first step for me. Then 600 followed by 600 wet and finally 1200 wet. I was then going to use a polishing compound of some sort,swirl remover then wax. The guitar is finished with Varathane(flecto) a water based polyeurothane. 1200 was the finest I could find at the local autoparts joint.

thanx

stew