Mystery Pup

unclej

i just scored a cool grab bag of old pups including a couple of framus single coils, a 1980 T-bucker a couple of frightening overwound single coils and this mystery bass pup. it's 2 3/4" long by 1 3/8" wide and wound almost to the cover edge. it's a great sounding pup measuring just over 9 ohms. anyone have any idea what it is?

2.75" x 1.375" ? I doubt that's a bass pickup, unless it only has 4 pole pieces - isn't that standard humbucker size? I used to have a bunch of old overwound single coils about that size that came out of various Japanese trashbin guitars from the 60s and 70s (Hey, they couldn't all be Tiesco DelRay classics) - a lot of them had fancy covers with gold mesh or "engraved' overlays, and quite a few had fake polepieces (just screwheads riveted to the cover). I must have lost that box in the last move, I haven't seen it in a few dozen years. :D

have i mentioned that i'm getting old and forgetful? :D here's the link to the pics of the pup that i meant to add to the original post.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1208010

and you're exactly right lk. i just assumed it was a bass pup but when i just held it up to a standard humbucker and it's the same size.

i'd still like to know what it is if anyone has any idea.