Mysterious Noises

Mouse

I noticed that after a quick strum, then muted, I hear an echoing ringing sound.

I first thought that my amp speaker was loose, but I heard the same thing on my

friend's amp. Deeper investigation narrowd it down to no peice of equipment, but

my guitar. I also just put on a heavier guage of strings. This may be added some

tension of my tremolo bridge. If I run my fingernail across the trem springs I hear

the same sound.

ANY IDEAS??

The adding of heavier gauged strings applied more tension to the trem springs in order to keep the guitar in the proper tuning/octave. Get your screwdriver (if you dare) and unscrew a couple of turns on each of the screws anchoring the claws (I'd say if you're doing it yourself, at MOST 1/2 a turn each time, and make sure you do it evenly, ie, don't loosen one screw a lot, and then go do the other until it's matched, do them as simultaneously as possible).

Otherwise, I'd take it to a professional and get it set up to work properly with the gauge of strings you're using.

(and for future reference, post these kind of questions in the "Solid Body..." section of the forum.

Mitch

The trem system is a natural reverb tank. The springs vibrate when you strum the strings and keep vibrating even when you stop. The only way to stop or dampen this effect is to either add more springs or wedge a piece of rubber or butyl rubber between the springs and the body. Both solutions will affect the trem operation, so it may not be a good idea if you're using it a lot and want it to go back in tune all the time.

I don't think it would be a good idea to loosen the screws on the claw. That would raise the bridge and consequently raise your action.

Thanks all. I tried loosening the screws, without going far. By the time I had gotten rid of the noise, my strings were, obviously, tuned down too far. I retuned

and the noise returned with the string tension.(This had crossed my mind, but I figured I could try without damaging anything) So I loosened the strings, tightened up the screws, retuned.

So I spun off the cotton ball idea and used some foam stuff. I cut a nice little square of black foam that ABSORBS SOUND. thank you very much. Caio!

The trem system is a natural reverb tank. The springs vibrate when you strum the strings and keep vibrating even when you stop. The only way to stop or dampen this effect is to either add more springs or wedge a piece of rubber or butyl rubber between the springs and the body. Both solutions will affect the trem operation, so it may not be a good idea if you're using it a lot and want it to go back in tune all the time.

I don't think it would be a good idea to loosen the screws on the claw. That would raise the bridge and consequently raise your action.

Click on the "All About Evo" banner, then click the back view thumbnail:

"The padding on the back is stuffed with tissue paper to cut down the noise of the springs and the vibrations in the back cavity that inevitably flow through the body and create a lot of noise that is picked up through the pickups. The tissue cuts this noise down tremendously and this tightens up the sound considerably."

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitars1.html