Voltage Question

bretto36

better use a mic..

Please don't put any conductor that has a chance of carrying potentially lethal voltages in your mouth! Your skin has a pretty high resistive value (around 7-12k ohms or so dry) and that little shock you get from say 120v household outlet just stings a bit. Your bodys internal resistive value is very low (maybe 200 ohms) that little sting across your skin can be leathal if it gets a clean path inside you. Very small amounts of current can kill (only 20 milli amps). Don't suck on mics w/ phantom power and don't put a pickup in your mouth that is connected to an amp.

Peace, Rich

i just tried a little experiment that you might be interested in..allparts distributors sells a soundboard transducer that i install in quite a few guitars. it's about as big around as a quarter and has sticky backed tape on it. it's hard wired to an input jack. i just held one on to a harmonica and it actually sounded pretty good. i placed it in the middle of the harp and it seemed to pick up the highs, lows and mids equally and reproduced the sound very acurately. go on line at www.allparts.com and check their product number pu6475-000. might be what you're looking for.

you wouldn't have to hold it near your harp..with this one you could mount it to the bottom of the harmonica with the sticky back tape or hold it right up to it if you want to be able to use different harps...keep in mind that they are basically a small mic so your hand moving on it, etc. would be picked up also.

try your local music shop and ask for a sound board transducer..hopefully he'll have a supplier for them.

I'd say your best bet is to get some sort of piezo pickup. They pickup soundwaves I believe, as compared to a guitar pickup which electrofies a magnet and the metal string moves the magnetic field which creates a sound wave or something. I'M NOT SURE ABOUT ALL OF THIS! But I do know that a magnetic gutiar pickup will never work for a harmonica, but a piezo will. Check it out.

It works, thanks everyone, i got an acoustic guitar transducer. and it worked, was only 20 dollars as wel. I hooked it up to my friend effects pedal and it sounded awesome, could get some nice and wacky sounds coming out of it whihc is what i wanted. Only 1 problem is i gotta avoid bumping it as much, but that will come with practice. Thanks again everyone.