Douglas Fir?

I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has tried using Douglas Fir for an acoustic top. How well did it work for you basically, or if there is a reason why it is not acceptable as a soundboard please let me know.

I have a small stock of Spruce (nice stuff, about 30 rings per inch and clean)that I have been allowing to dry (about a six months now) so I do not need to use D. Fir. However I just ran across some amazing stuff. While I was at one of the supply houses I buy from. I spotted 5 boards that are perfectly quarter sawn (10' long x 8.5 to 9"wide 4/4), and (no exageration) have an average of 45-50 growth rings per inch w/really nice flecking. Even at about an inch thick when tapped it has a nice bell like quality. This must have grown hella slow and been a very old tree. The price is $4.50 per. bd. ft., and at that price I will store it for a couple of years before I need it (plus it will just get better with age).

Thanks, Rich

It has been a while, but I remember reading on the MIMF site that DF in an acoustic top was "harsh". I'm not sure if the topic was using fir or if it was mentioned as an aside in a related topic, so it may not show up in a search. The disscussion, IIRC, talked about guys who had built many guitars and should have been able to produce a good sounding instrument being unhappy with the tone. Not just preferring the usual spruce and cedar and mahogany, but not ever wanting to build a DF one again.

I was interested because I have some cool Douglas Fir. It actually has some really wild grain and I never would use it for an acoustic. But as a top of an electric, it might be pretty cool. I thin layer on a electric with a more mellow main body wood (mahogany or limba?) might sound fine. At my rate of guitar completion though, it might be 5 years before I find out. Not on the top of the list...

Thanks for the feedback. I have been searching and searching for the topic on the MIMF no luck yet. I am also searching the web for info. I did find a dealer that sells Doug Fir along with the usual woods used for tops. I will keep searching, and again thanks for the info. I may still pick up a board just to experiment.

Devon, I really hope this isn't something I should allready know but what is the LP forum? I will go check it out as soon as I know where to go.

I will pick up some no matter what just to try it out. If I just pick up one board, that will cut up into at least 5 sound boards plus a little stock for bracing (more than I would need for quite a while). I will probably try it out with some real basic wood, maybe Mahogany back & sides. If the board sounds lame I will just chalk it up to a lesson learned. If it works well I will pull out some nicer stuff for back & sides and build another. Just depends on how it sounds.

Thanks all! :D

Thanks much Devon. I just finished reading the thread. Sounds like Doug Fir has great potential. I really appreciated the info on how the wood acts when working it. If Dan Erlewine is giving it a big thumbs up, I think I will pick up a nice stockpile and try to put it to good use. I will have to play with a little thinner top and see if that extra stiffness can work to my advantage. The thread also has me thinking about trying it out on a neck.

Peace, Rich

Hey Devon,

The Fir I picked up is 1" thick. Would that thickness work for you? How long and wide do you need? If you want I could hook you up with some of this stuff. It is costing me about $5 per. bd ft and it's 5/4 (I hate the way they call 1" thick (which should be 4/4) 5/4 just because it's 4S4. I would be happy to get it and send it to you for what it costs me for the wood and shipping. BTW I just sliced up my first top it cut very well. I just can't get over how many rings per inch this stuff has. Even though it's kinda hard to count I still see about 50 rings per inch, and it is flawlessly quarter sawn. I am trying to take a photo but I think I will need to take the photo through a magnifying glass. The flash makes the wood look like it has no rings at all.

Peace, Rich