I Shouldnt Be Doing This

I don't think you should worry about people telling you don't do something, to me it seems more like their own fears that they are incapable of doing something, trying to figure out a way to do it, or just scared of unconventional thought. I have had several replies about my work on posts and everyone on this forum who creams his pants when they see a "custom" guitar that looks like every other instrument in the world are the ones who say they hate my work, say it "looks like it was hard to make" or "not my style" but they would never dream of being able to build one. I do very non-traditional designs and it sets me apart more than anything. I have also never seen any guitars that are made out of one piece of wood, or that have hand cut steel inlays, or many with complicated carvings. Did that stop me, no. Its more expensive and harder to do but the end result is worth it. If you screw up, try again, don't give up and don't ask for opinions on designs for a guitar for yourself. You are the only critic you need. Instead of people telling you not to do something, they should offer good advice on possible things to look out for. Look at the last post, that guy has acoustic V guitars, not a bass but whose to say you won't be one of the first.

Respectfully, BS. You make solidbody guitars, and from what I can see, damn fine ones. However, the solidbody electric is an infinitely forgiving medium, put the bridge and frets in the right place, and you can do pretty much whatever you want with the rest.

That is not the case with acoustic instruments, particularly basses - find me a flattop acoustic bass which can compete with a dreadnought acoustic for volume, and then we'll talk.... and that's using tried and tested designs and a fullsize soundboard!

I'm always slapping people down when they claim something is out of their reach (ask anyone who has said 'I don't have the tools to make a neck'!) but I'm also a realist. If Curtis tries to do this now, with his current experience and knowledge, it'll be a trainwreck.

As for advice on what to look out for... where to start!?!?! It's not like a plan has been proposed which needs guidance like, tighten the angle on your x-brace so it hits your bridge tips! It's a totally new ballpark, and the advice being given is sound:

Learn the rules before you break them. If Curtis builds this and it sucks, he won't have a clue why, having never built a bass, or an acoustic instrument before. If he builds a bass, an acoustic guitar, and then an acoustic V-bass then he'll have a frame of reference to understand what needs tweaking. Right now, all he'd know is it sounded like crap.