Hammond Transformer Specs

unclej

well, i just scored an old hammond tube amp and reverb and i'm really not interested in trying to convert it to a guitar amp so i'm going to use it for parts. but...i don't have a model number and i haven't been able to find any info on old hammond amp or transformer specs. i'm most interested in what i can use the transformers for. i googled in the numbers on the power and output transformer and found someone wanting to sell some but no specs. the current hammond home page doesn't have anything on old stuff. so two questions please:

1) does anyone know where i can find the specs i'm looking for?

2) since i still don't know how to test transformers in or out of the amp can someone suggest some reading where i can learn?

thanks

You can measure the secondary voltage(s) directly with a voltmeter - just power it up and check the output in situ. For current output, look at the circuit in the original amp - if it's pushing a pair of 6L6s, it's probably good for a quad of EL84s or 6V6s, or a pair of 5881s (or 6L6s, obviously), but it almost certainly woudn't be enough to power 6550s or EL34s.

I know that's kinda vague, but it's all I got. :D If I'm unsure, I check to see if they get hot in use - coffee warmer hot is probably OK, but toaster oven is definitely not! B) AFAIK, you can still get all the Hammond manuals and service literature from Organ Service Company (you'll just need a model #) - the Hammond Organ company went out of business in 1985, and the name and patent rights were sold to Suzuki's piano division, so they're not likely to be much help.