The Great Speaker Volume Debate

unclej

germain to absolutely nothinging in this thread: i've always liked your handle silvertone. i happen to be a silvertone nut. my first guitar was a silvertone arch top that i bought new in 1962-63 from sears. i'm in the middle of re-doing one exactly like it. i've re-set the neck and done a complete fret job on it and when i finish with the fret board binding it'll be ready to play. i have five others including a thin hollow body with three fat single coils that i re-voiced. it's beyond a doubt the best playing guitar that i own. one i've got set up to play bottle slide and one lap dobro. as cheesy as they are there's always room for one more on my wall.

Well, yeah!!  :D  However, you don't want to drive a 500 watt PA cabinet with a 50 watt amp, either - that has its own set of problems! In practice, if your amp is within a +5/-20% range of the speaker's rating, and you don't run the power amp into hard clipping, you're probably safe - start clipping the power amp regularly, and you should expect to replace speakers early and often.

this post scares me...

i just put a brand new Eminence Red White and Blues Patriot into my Fender Ultra Chorus.

the speaker is rated at 120Wrms/240W peak, but it's only a 65W bi-amp (130w mono). does that mean that if i'm running them stereo, i could be damaging my speaker unless i push it up to the higher extremes of my amp?

I'm not too familiar with Fender amps but I'm sure that the 130W mono will be p-p instaed of RMS, so your speaker can handle more than that. What I was disscussing is that if your amp produces 100WRms, to use a speaker in the 80-100W Rms range. IN order to drive the speaker correctly. To move the cone of the speaker you just got you have to drive the amp to 10 (Im exagerating here a bit) since the speaker over powers the amp 2:1 . But remember that the speaker only receives what the amp can offer, so there will be no harm done to either. Just that maybe the same speaker on a 100WRms amp will yield a better performance than in your amp.

the speaker is rated at 120Wrms/240W peak, but it's only a 65W bi-amp (130w mono). does that mean that if i'm running them stereo, i could be damaging my speaker unless i push it up to the higher extremes of my amp?

:D Sorry if I'm causing confusion (again) - you have nothing to worry about, as Maiden says.

The point I was trying to make involves running PA speakers with grossly underpowered amps - in guitar amps, we love clipping, and design it in, but we limit the bandwidth and "severity" (if you will) so it doesn't usually do the speakers (well, within reason) any harm. PA amplifiers on the other hand are designed to operate very clean at full audio bandwidth, and when they clip, the transients aren't smoothed out like guitar amp distortion, so they slam the speaker cone around really hard and heat up the voice coil fairly quickly, so if you're running an underpowered amp near max to compensate for the lack of power, even transients that are too fast to light the clip LEDs may be slowly destroying your expensive drivers, and clipped bass notes are hitting the speakers like a hammer. If the speakers and power amp are matched (or close), the speakers will usually complain loudly about being overdriven below the level that hard-clips the power amp, and any sane soundguy will turn the level down before any permanent damage results. Or at least that's what they taught me in "Stupid Gear-totin' Assistant Soundguy" class. :D

Again, it doesn't apply to guitar amps per se - sorry if I muddied the waters!