Spalted Hybrid

bassman

Here is my second of this type-

All criticisms are welcome- this is the second of its kind.

spaltedfretlesshybrid003.jpg

spaltedfretlesshybrid002.jpg

Still needs final shaping, I have to make the bridge install electronics/hardware... this one will be getting finished with KTM-9. Either satin or high gloss, but definitely a thicker built up finish than I usually use.

yes it is spalted as the title of the post says. no dyes or stains. I have not used KTM-9 before- I am in the process of testing the finishing process on a piece of mahogany from the body scraps.

More notes about the bass- the neck on this is as thin as possible with a hot rod- not my tastes but I am experimenting with it. If it snaps I will be pissed- but that is aprt of experimenting. Neck is 5 piece birds eye and bubinga with cocobolo finger board and carbon fiber reinforcement. One peice mahogany body with BM spalted maple top. Caivty cover- burled amboyna- bridge bone and probably cocobolo. The extended fingerboard on this sits only a hair above the plane of the body- just trying some different things on this one.

Very nice bass, too bad it aint got no head, (I can't stand steinbergs for that reason, glad the FR decided to keep them on the speedloaders), but that body lines are beautiful, the bottom looks familiar, I know that grizzly are making (or selling) one of the kits with the bottom like that but I have seen it somewere else, can remember though. I'm waiting to see this oen done, once you are done give feedback on the KTM-9 I will like to use it, but everybody else I talk to don't like them, but they are using 2 part poly so there is no comparison.

Word of advise, I remember Drak posting that this maple a lot of CA to get it nice and hard on the top, since spalt is usualy softer than regular maple, I think he uses it like a grain filler on porous woods, good luck!

Erik

Total neck thickness is about .81"... extremely thin for a bass neck. Very solid woods were used though- with prefectly quartersawn birdseye, and nearly quartersawn bubinga (with grains of the two pieces running at "a mirrored relationship" for stability). I am not to worried about it, but it does pop into my from time to time when I look at it.

Maiden69

Yeah I used to bugged be by headless instruments (what the hell is that thing?) Once you play one (one of my mine that is) you will never want to go back, I have turned a number of people onto the headless thing with my basses. I have been using CA to harden the spalt througout the shaping process, man would it be hell not doing it that way. I will be using system 3 epoxy as a grain filler which will add even more dent resistance to the whole body. For the neck- poly/oil feels the best/smoothest, so that is what it will be.

Devon

I think I know of what you are speaking, that is not what I am doing here though- this bass does not have any sound chambers like the other one did. It is a very light piece of mahogany-and it should be resonant enough without them.