My Random Question

Maher

Hi

Im going to be building my first guitar from scratch pretty soon, so as youll imagine i will come across loads of things i will need advice on B) so instead of me making a post every other day with a new question i thought i may aswell just make one thread and post all my question in it. hope thats ok.

well here we go- my guitar will be a set neck DC Les paul Jnr flat top kind of guitar with a black painted mahogany neck and ebony fretboard with white binding. well i was planning on buying a pre slotted & radiused fretboard, but thinking about it i think id like to build it from total scratch because im sure this wont be my last project and i couldnt find any fretboards with binding, but is it possible to add binding to a preslotted and radiused fretboard?

the body will also have white binding, do i tape up the binding? and then spray the body black? but then wont it be unequal?do i sprat clear coat over the binding to level it out?

Thanks

more to come :D

Lee :D

well after reading a lot ill make some assumptions. THe whole binding fingerboard part, it all depends on the neck itself and your personal preferences to how wide you want the neck, and also, you probably will have to re-radius the fingerboard after the binding is installed so it flows. With the binding on the body. Well the reason why people need a loadfull of clearcoat on their guitars is because of the fact that they need to be leveled out through sanding, so naturally, the binding will be uneven at first, but after sanding the clearcoat flat, hopefully its smooth without sandthroughs.

ok thanks for the help

next question :D

i want a bridge like that on a Les Paul Jnr with no stop piece like this

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...es.html#details

but wont this bridge make inotnation a problem?

thanks

It doesn't make intonation a problem, it makes it nonexistent :D. That bridge has a set intonation just like acoustic bridges do. I suppose you can adjust it a little bit by changing the whole bridge's angle, but that's about it.

There are some other one-piece tune-o-matic sort of options, like:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...es.html#details

and, if you go to

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bridgetunematic.htm

the gotoh labeled number 2570-010 and the schaller labeled number 0533-010

All of these offer adjustible intonation in a one-piece tune-o-matic/stoppiece

hi thanks for the fast replys guys

ive found this bridge http://www.axesrus.com/axehardware_files/badassc.jpg

so i think i might go for that.

next Q! :D

how do i drill the hole from the pick up cavaties to feed the wires through and from the pick up cavatie to the control cavaites?

the control cavatie will be rear routed but theres no pick guard on the front so i route a channel on the top of the body, and i cant see how a regular sized drill bit will be able to connect the two pick up cavaties, i can possible make it reach from the bridge pick up to the control cavatie.

Edit: i should add the body is not laminated so i cant route channels then put a cap on top :D

Edited by Lee

how do i drill the hole from the pick up cavaties to feed the wires through and from the pick up cavatie to the control cavaites?

the control cavatie will be rear routed but theres no pick guard on the front so i route a channel on the top of the body, and i cant see how a regular sized drill bit will be able to connect the two pick up cavaties, i can possible make it reach from the bridge pick up to the control cavatie.

Edit: i should add the body is not laminated so i cant route channels then put a cap on top :D

A lot of people just get a really long drill bit (they're pretty available, you just have to be looking for them) and drill from one corner of one pup cavity to the other corner of the other cavity - the rear-route control cavity should be big enough to pretty easily drill from it onto one of the pup cavities.

I guess it just depends on your drill, how deep your pup cavities are, and how far apart you have them.

ok thanks alot.

now...

i want a les paul type sound put i dont want a laminated body so what ype of wood shall i use for that sound? i heard mahogany will be to bright without a maple cap...?

Actually, the point of putting a maple cap on a mahogany body guitar (a la Les Paul) is to brighten it up a little bit. Maple's harder and a bit more dense than mahogany (something like 44 pounds per square foot versus 36 pounds per square foot), so it's a brighter wood. That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a solid mahogany body guitar - go to a guitar shop and play an SG, which, standard, is probably the most widely-known solid mahogany body guitar in the world. It's a little different sound from a Les Paul, but it still has that Gibson sound. Scale length also has a lot to do with the sound of a guitar, as it helps determine what harmonics dominate the tone - so if you're going for a Gibson/Les Paul sound, MAKE SURE TO USE GIBSON'S 24 3/4" SCALE, not the 25.5" scale that's more common. That's important.