Brush Type

bassman

I am currently testing KTM-9. I am using a foam brush, I also have a bristled nylon/polyester brush that I can use. I dont want to switch brushes in mid test, nor do I want to test both if there is a known and clear advantage of using one over the other. So which one do you all think would work best? Or course if I can not get a "perfect" finish with either one then I will buy a gun and "take possesion" of my brother in law's large and unused air compressor.

From what I've read at this site KTM-9 is a water based laquer with urethane-like properties. I've had no experience with this finish but I have had some with manual application of urethane. They say it lays down and spreads out like urethane so I would go with a foam applicator. Brushes will leave brush marks when the stuff begins to stiffen up and they are hard to correct. With a foam applicator the only thing you have to worry about is air bubbles from pressing too hard. I keep the applicator soaking in the finish to prevent any drying and lay it down verrrrrry slowly with little pressure. You can apply thicker coats on flat surfaces so make sure everything is level. I've had near mirror-like finishes after application and sanding/polishing is minimal.

But you keep experimenting with techniques using both and see what works best for you. :D

Edited by Southpa

Thanks,

I have noticed air bubbles, and what appears to be brush strokes from my foam brush. I think have been applying the coats to thin, they are not laying down. My last coat was thicker and it layed down better but it had significantly more bubbles- I will try taking a softer approach to the whole thing.

Any score marks or striations from the foam applicator are likely because the foam was left to air dry for a short period. I'd keep them soaking in the container of urethane (or whatever) to keep them soft 'n juicy. :D mmmmmmmmmmm Then just toss it out when finished.

Edited by Southpa

The only thing that water based topcoats give off is a little ammonia. They all seem to be universally a lot safer than the nitro that I've shot forever.

I haven't used the one you all are talking about but I have just not had any real luck with water based stuff in a high build high gloss application. Does this stuff get the "television blue" haze to it? And how long do you need to wait before you can buff it out? Also is there any critcal window on recoat and how is intercoat adhesion? Anybody got any experience with this stuff 'cause I'm tired of fumes?

What I was looking for is some feedback from someone who has used this and isn't on the retailer's most favorite son list. I've got probably 12 different water based finishes that all got great reviews from the sales reps. All of them had little problems that they just seemed to forget about when we were talking before the sale.

I am tired of fumes, but until someone gives me a water based finish that approaches the ease of application of nitro with the same or better look I'll just sweat in a mask.

I live in Richmond, Va. Our humidity in the winter is higher than a lot of places in the summer. This causes us to have to be creative problem solvers when dealing with finishes. Ninty five degrees and nintyfive percent humidty makes summer finishing challenging.

Doc,

Hey there I live in Richmond Virginia as well... Northside to be specific. I would be happy to let you see the results in person.

Oh yeah no smells... you really must get right up on the stuff- nose right against it... even then the smell is not bad... I literally brushed on my sample in my dining room.