5-string Bass String Spacing...at The Nut.

OK...two related questions for my bass proj (you 8-stringers might also be interested in this):

#1 Can any of you 5-stringers post your string spacing at the nut? It will be best if you have calipers; I'd also be interested to know the spacing from the edge of the fretboard to the edge of the string (bass & treble sides both; are the different?).

#2 Do your basses have the strings spaced equally center-to-center, or is the spacing equal between the strings (edge-to-edge). I'm not sure which kind of spacing my fingers and eyes would prefer.

Edited by erikbojerik

I'm right now laying out the neck taper, string paths and trying to locate tuning machines, so I can still change the width at the nut. Right now it is 1.75 inches. I'm going for a nice straight string pull across the nut.

I'm actually not planning to cut until I have something firm for string spacing at the nut.

Here are a few things that I have consider into making a nut, one is this nice little device by Stew Mac now I know it's pricy but the most important thing is the information below the pics, were it says "the problem is", and now the second thing that I'm keeping in mind came from an interview with Mr Smith. He mentioned that on his guitars, the nut is slotted with the low e closer to the edge than the high e, this because when you do bend vibratos, you usualy wiggle the high E and on the low you just pull down, that way is harder to fall out of the fret.

Just my .02 since I haven't made but one nut myself, not because I don't know what to do but because it is extremely hard to make it correctly with out the right tools, I even had so "fix" the nut that came in my Warmoth neck since it was buzzing on the 1 and 2 fret, it was cut with and angle thowards the fretboard, and I had to sand the bottom of the slot to correct this, now it's fine.

I assume you are laying something out in CAD cause you wanted caliper readings.

Here are my readings on a 1.75" wide 5-string nut:

From the left;

and of course 1.75

Hope it helps. Looks like center-to-center spacing to me.

Thanks Maiden. I've actually got a very nice mini-saw here at work, with 2 different blades (0.017 and 0.023 kerfs) and a vernier that lets me set the position of the nut on the saw blade to within 0.001. So if I know the centers of the slots, cutting them is cake. Then I just widen the slots by hand, either by using the 0.023" blade as a file, or by using a small needle file.

For the bass, I'll probably cut the edges of the slots rather than the centers (except the high-G).

I'm going to swing by Chuck Levin's on the way home today and measure a couple; I'll report back what I find out.

Thanks doc...you posted while I was writing.

Here's what my trip to the store got me:

------------Stingray---KenSmith---WarwickThumb--PeavyCirrus---Alembic---FenderJazz--

edge-B------0.178--------0.182----------0.182----------0.188---------0.209------0.168------

B-E----------0.365--------0.363-----------0.371----------0.388---------0.390------0.423-----

E-A----------0.360--------0.357-----------0.364----------0.365---------0.391------0.413-----

A-D----------0.364--------0.345----------0.361----------0.360---------0.377-------0.391-----

D-G----------0.351--------0.339----------0.361----------0.350---------0.346-------0.371-----

G-edge------0.136--------0.179----------0.140----------0.160---------0.168-------0.133-----

nut width----1.750--------1.765----------1.778----------1.820---------1.880-------1.898-----

So, for these 5-stringers the answer is "neither". The spacing is not the same center-to-center across all the strings, and neither is it that the gap between strings (edge to edge) is the same. These measurements are good to 0.005 or so.

Center-to-center the spacings are usually pretty much the same until you get to the high-G; everyone moves it in a little closer to the D (except Warwick). And only on the Ken Smith is the neck edge-to-string distance the same on the bass & treble sides, but it is barely noticable (except for the Alembic).

I think I'll be going with Ken Smith spacing.

Thanks Maiden. I've actually got a very nice mini-saw here at work, with 2 different blades (0.017 and 0.023 kerfs) and a vernier that lets me set the position of the nut on the saw blade to within 0.001. So if I know the centers of the slots, cutting them is cake. Then I just widen the slots by hand, either by using the 0.023" blade as a file, or by using a small needle file.

Hey, heres a little trick I used to use that works pretty well. After you get the string slots started with your saw. Place the nut in a vice and run an old set of strings (gauge you want to use) across it. It works really well, just remember to hold the string at an angle to match the headstock. Also take it easy because it will cut pretty fast if you take long strokes.

Peace, Rich

Here are a few things that I have consider into making a nut, one is this nice little device by Stew Mac ...

...Just my .02 since I haven't made but one nut myself, not because I don't know what to do but because it is extremely hard to make it correctly with out the right tools, I even had so "fix" the nut that came in my Warmoth neck since it was buzzing on the 1 and 2 fret, it was cut with and angle thowards the fretboard, and I had to sand the bottom of the slot to correct this, now it's fine.

That's a really long sentence :D . Here's a tool that looks equivalent of the StewMac nut spacing rule. I still haven't gotten around to making it, so I can't give an opinion yet. Looks useful, though.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/To...le/nutrule.html

Yes it is, too bad we ain't got spell check here :D , and i realy don't care much about it. At least here!!!

But that tool over there is about the same thing stew got, homemade which is almost free, I like the sloted version that Stew sells better, maybe I will make one in pdf and take it to the local trophy shop and had them cut it to plastic .