Strat+ Wiring

Fraser Welsh

I'm currently working on a scratchplate for my project so the time has come to decide how I want the thing wired, so I can drill apropriate holes. I like the versitility of standart strat wiring but want something a little hotter (think Stevie Ray Vaughn meets David Gilmour) in my current strat I've got two stock singlecoils with a hotrail style humbucker at the bridge, to try to approach that type of tone, though I find it a little to harsh sounding. Also, I wouldn't mind a little more versatility so was thinking of doing something like this.

Anyway, any ideas, recomendations or general pointers you can give me would be apreciated...

:D

EMG used to make a set of active SC-sized pickups that David Gilmour used, I think they were DG-30s or something like that. You can find 'em every so often on eBay.

It has been said that Fender Texas Specials are supposed to get you toward that Stevie sound, but I've not found that to be true on any of the axes I've tried in music stores.

Try the EMG VG-20 system. It's actually the Vince Gill setup, but it might be a good bridge between Stevie's and Dave's sounds. It'll give you a little texas to go with your progressive. The EMG-S pickups are a little hotter than the EMG-SA set in the Dave Gilmour setup, but the system does not include the EXG mid-boost that the DG setup includes.

Keep in mind, Stevie's sound came from fat strings, fat amps, and a lead belly from drinking whisky spiked with cocaine. Stevie could pick up a bone stock '05 Mexican Strat (if he were still with us) and it'd sound almost indistinguishable from Number One. Hot pickups will get you about 15% there, the rest is up to you.

Edited by crafty

:D Whatever else you do, set your guitar up for, and use, a set of 13's.  That, along with some Texas specials, might get you part way there.  The rest is in your fingers.

Good luck,

Dave

I'm currently working on a scratchplate for my project so the time has come to decide how I want the thing wired, so I can drill apropriate holes.  I like the versitility of standart strat wiring but want something a little hotter (think Stevie Ray Vaughn meets David Gilmour) in my current strat I've got two stock singlecoils with a hotrail style humbucker at the bridge, to try to approach that type of tone, though I find it a little to harsh sounding.  Also, I wouldn't mind a little more versatility so was thinking of doing something like this

Anyway, any ideas, recomendations or general pointers you can give me would be apreciated...

:D