Scarf Joint Question

Ok has anyone ever tried to cut a scarf joint using a compound mitre saw? I thought it may be ok given that I've seen table saws used to cut the scarf joint. But thought I'd probably best check here first.

I guess my main concern would be tear out from the blade. Any suggesitons before I go ahead and stuff it all up? :D

well, i used it, i am actually a little scared it wont be stable enough, but after it was done being glued up and completly dry, i had one hand on the headstock and one on the end of the neck and i pulled different ways, i didnt notice any flex or snap, but if i am up playing on stage and it all of a sudden it snaps off, i think the crowd will like that, me on the hand, i would cry

Curtis

It seems to me that to get the correct angle for the headstock using a compound miter saw, you would have to hold you stock perpendicular to the fence of the saw. That being said, if you made a jig to clamp the work to and you know your saw is cutting straight, I don't see why it would not work.

That's exactly what I discovered when I tried to cut a neck blank for a scarf joint in my compound miter saw jer. The only way to set the saw to the desired angle was to place the blank perpindicular to the fence and this could only be done with some kind fo bracing or clamping. i decided against it and instead I made a scarf joint cutting jig for my table saw.

Here is a link to a site that has plans for building a jig to cut scarf joints. These are the plans I used to make my jig:

http://pweb.jps.net/~kmatsu/htmlpages/scarfjig.html

Fender thanks for that info the jig is great! I think I'll give the mitre idea a miss and run with the table saw. I discovered my mitre is about 3mm out on the drop of the blade at the moment because its usually used for heavy work. I'm assuming its just running out due to that. But not worth the risk. Thanks again all!