My Guitar Project

I just thought I would post what I have so far on my neckthrough project:

Basics:

22 Fret Neckthrough design based on a custom guitar made by Mike Tobias for Trevor Rabin (of Yes at the time).

25 inch scale

Neck is laminate of bloodwood surrounded by Rock Maple with a black veneer in between.

wings are zebrawood

bois d'rose fingerboard (from lmii)

Tonepros TOM bridge

Dual Humbucker (Semour Duncan JB and Jazz)

lmii double acting truss (less depth required than StewMac Hot Rod)

double graphite reinforcing rods

I had a friend of mine draw up the body shape based on this photograph from a 1987 Guitar player magazine:

http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/...93&img=toby.jpg

and I have been doing the rest of the cad work in ACAD LT. Here is the design so far:

http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/...&img=guitar.jpg

I have also drawn up a side view with the neck angle incorporated, but i cropped that for this. I have the neck laminated and ready to cut. I think I can get two necks out of it.

Still fiddling with the dimensions on a few items. Taking it very slow and methodical as this is my first and I want to do it right. Still playing around with the headstock design (I didnt want it to be a complete rip off of Mike's Design)

Matt

(I would have put the pic directly into the post but it doesnt like dynamic pages...)

Just set up a Photobucket account. My cad drawing is on my machine at work (ACAD Lt doesnt seem to like linux (under Wine) ) so I will link it on monday or when i dotn get the bandwidth limit message also... didnt think to send it to my home email.

Here is the original (extremely blown up from the magazine article):

toby.jpg

can't see the photos...  :D

it says you've reached your bandwith limit for the month..

maybe you should try and set up a PhotoBucket account or something like that

do it! i wanna see! hehehe

humm.. that's a nice design, i like it. has kind of a custom bass vibe to it with the neck through construction, natural satin finish displaying the wood...

i've thought for a while of making a guitar that looks like a high-end bass of sorts.. i just might take that up as a project as soon as i build up enough experience

-daniel

Here is a picture of the guitar as currently in cad (plan view only)

guitar.png

Quick dumb question, i have laid out the strings in the nut based on the string centers. Is this correct or do I lay them out and use the diameter to calculate the string to string distance?

Matt

Quick dumb question, i have laid out the strings in the nut based on the string centers.  Is this correct or do I lay them out and use the diameter to calculate the string to string distance?

I think the consensus is that, as far as major, commercial-built instruments go, neither is correct - they do get farther apart as you go towards lower pitch strings, but not by the widths of the strings. At least that's what I've heard from people who're obsessive enough to take the time to measure these things :D.

Any links to previous discussions on this? The search feature seems to be of little help (nut is only 3 letters which is not indexed).

I know Stewmac sells a ruler that does this but wanted a rule or a formula that i could work out and lay out... probably just use the centers for laying out the tuning machines, then get Stewmacs ruler for the actual nut.

Quick dumb question, i have laid out the strings in the nut based on the string centers.  Is this correct or do I lay them out and use the diameter to calculate the string to string distance?

I think the consensus is that, as far as major, commercial-built instruments go, neither is correct - they do get farther apart as you go towards lower pitch strings, but not by the widths of the strings. At least that's what I've heard from people who're obsessive enough to take the time to measure these things :D.

Any links to previous discussions on this?  The search feature seems to be of little help (nut is only 3 letters which is not indexed).

I know Stewmac sells a ruler that does this but wanted a rule or a formula that i could work out and lay out... probably just use the centers for laying out the tuning machines, then get Stewmacs ruler for the actual nut.

This is a purported "Nut Slot Spacing Calculator" that says it gives you good spacing numbers. You have to tell it intended string widths and distances from the ends of the nuts.

For what it's worth, I think my fingers want strings that are evenly spaced (same distance from string centers). It doesn't matter if strings get thicker, the distance from the first to fifth string (four spaces) should be exactly twice the distance from the first to third string (two spaces) or I think I'll get out of whack. That's just me though.

I've looked for a half an hour (because I got curious too) and haven't been able to find the discussion I'd seen somewhere.

Edited by jnewman

I have proceeded with using equally spaced strings (at least for the cad layout). If i dont like that I can cut a new nut.

I am planning on using clear Danish Oil at this point.

Working on getting the tuning machines spaced out at this point. Maybe mini-grovers would have been easier over grovers.

Any links to previous discussions on this?  The search feature seems to be of little help (nut is only 3 letters which is not indexed).

This is a purported "Nut Slot Spacing Calculator" that says it gives you good spacing numbers. You have to tell it intended string widths and distances from the ends of the nuts.

For what it's worth, I think my fingers want strings that are evenly spaced (same distance from string centers). It doesn't matter if strings get thicker, the distance from the first to fifth string (four spaces) should be exactly twice the distance from the first to third string (two spaces) or I think I'll get out of whack. That's just me though.

I've looked for a half an hour (because I got curious too) and haven't been able to find the discussion I'd seen somewhere.