Heritage Cherry Finish.

hi guys,

what is the easiest way to achieve a heritage cherry finish on honduran mahogany without using rattlecans or spray equipment? i am from singapore and due to shipping restrictions, i have no access to flammable stuff. hope you guys can help me out here.

cheers!

dani

You can probably get a water or alcohol based dye in powder form shipped in. You mix it up your self. Stew-mac and Lee valley are good sources.

For the finish check and see if you can get one of the water based urethanes in there. I think Luthier's Mercantile is one supplier. LMII.com

thanks doc! i will check the dye powders out. on the side, do you think tung oil will be a better option than water-based urethane?

i was snooping around and stumbled upon woodburst.com. their bing cherry stain looks similar to heritage cherry. since they are tung oil-based, i was thinking of using it followed by pure tung oil. do you think this is advisable?

cheers!

dani

Ther are plenty of contemporary furniture makers who only use oil finishes and get great results.

That said you aren't going to get the high build high gloss finish of a modern electric guitar. You will get a much more "wood and finish are one' appearance. It will probably never get that glassy glossy look. I happen to like the look of oil finish, especially on wood with a lot of grain character, like mahogany.

The oil also isn't as armor like as lacquer, but is really easy to repair.