Using Two Compressors

erikbojerik

I've got a multi-effects board with a compressor first in the chain, and it has an effects loop that catches the signal after the distortion but before all the delays. Then I've got a separate Boss stomp-box compressor.

I've heard that people can use two compressors together to get some interesting high-gain stuff going. What are the sounds you can get with this, and where would I place the second compressor in the chain?

The sound will be thicker and louder. The only thing about compressors you have to be careful of is you narrow your dynamic range, too much will make it sound big but lifeless. Some people dig that though. If I were using two. The first would be set very conservatively so as not to kill all the dynamics. Then I would play with the second to achive the level of compression you want.

Peace Rich

Applying heavy compression after any delay effects can have a negative affect, because it over-rides the "natural" decay... that's why your effects unit works the way it does.

If you hear a good reason to compress and re-compress the signal, then I would recommend putting the Boss pedal ahead of the effects unit; that gives you a steady signal going in. And, like Rich said, I would make the first compression very light... like a top-end limiter.

But the key is to use it if it really provides a positive impact on the sound.

D~s

EDIT: What the %$&@ just happened to my post? Something added "%2~~~~~~b" to one line.

Edited by Dugz Ink