3rd Project - A Jem!

Ok well im thinking of starting a 3rd project. so far ive made a guitar that is of my own design similar to a jem and am building a carve top similar to a les paul.

Im thinking of making a kick-ass jem, but on a sort of budget.

At the moment i cant decide wether i want a fred or an evo in the bridge - i want power but versatility.

I hope to have a hot rails or similar in the bridge (Duncan Jb Junior) as well as a sustainer of some kind.

The whole guitar body (including pickguard and PU covers) to be either:

Black with a flip-flop silvery paint that will either be stencile type faces or a vine around it, so that the flip-flop paint scheme will eriely fade into view in certain angles. OR

like the new Vai signature with a total mirror finish.

Ive had a look at some of the tuts available such as scalloping. e.t.c.

On Ebay(.co.uk) theres an unfinished body and neck (fretted + tuners) combo going for about £85 from a power seller, 'woody cuters' or something like that, so im thinking of buying that as a good starting point .

ill probably inlay the neck or just leave it nice and black.

Any ideas for the projo would be greatly appreciated as well as any cool looking colour schemes. (sorry i cant stand swirls tho).

Also is a licenced FR trem that much inferior to a LO-Pro or edge (im not too sure which or what, when it comes to the whole FR thang).

Thanks alot.

Matt

Thanks Dude,

well i really want to know what is the big difference between a real FR or Ibanez FR and a cheaper copy?

And where to get something like an edge LO-Pro and how much it will cost me (i live in the UK),

How do you intend to do the mirror Finish with acrylic?

what do you think of this as a start?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Also what truss rod would be good for a thin neck like a Jem or wizard if i made my own.

thanks

MAtt

well i really want to know what is the big difference between a real FR or Ibanez FR and a cheaper copy?

Goto www.jemsite.com - Forums and do search for Edge, Floyd Rose.

A can of worms will open as every trem has their loyal fan base.

Generally you can say that Ibanez Edge and Lo Pro Edge are among the best trems in the world. The new Edge Pro is also very good looking trem....but some people prefer the locking trem bolds and the feel of the Edge (Lo Pro)

Here is also some additional info on tremolos: http://www.electricguitar.50megs.com/tremolo.htm

http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/trems.htm

Cheaper FR lisenced copies CAN be made of cheaper material and be of inferior quality.

Million $ question is now....is FR better as Ibanez Egde (Lo Pro), Edge Pro.........I see Original FR as good alternative for Ibanez Edge/Lo Pro, as Ibanez trems tend to be little expensive to buy....so most people doing project go for Evil*bay Edge.....or buy new Edge Lo Pro.....or Original FR. New OFR is bit more cost effective.

And where to get something like an edge Lo-Pro and how much it will cost me (i live in the UK),

Ask your local Ibanez dealer.....should run for about 200 something pounds. Alternative is ordering OFR in US and make use of preferal exchange rate. OFR should be had for $150-170.

How do you intend to do the mirror Finish with acrylic?

Go to www.delviesplastics.com and order mirror Acrylic sheet. They also do laser cutting of it. All you need is cad file of JEM (corrected for arm rest) and your in business. I can send you cad file of Jem if you want me too. PM me.

Note: Mirror acrylic is being vacuum formed over body (read:arm rest.) Mirror aluminium layer on back of acryllic is tend to rip and buckle in process. See first Vai prototype. Not easy newbie project.

Or you can have your Jem send to http://www.simscustom.com/ and have them do it for you. Read Jemsite.com again for info on new JEM mirror finish.

Better would be to contact EKG or LGM for custom Jem body. Better quality.

See banners on jemsite.com for proper URLs.

Also what truss rod would be good for a thin neck like a Jem or wizard if i made my own.

www.lmii.com. under trussrods.

Having answered some of your questions........I do have feeling that this JEM project may be little over your head as first project. My advice......first try to get feel for JEM project. Buy old IBANEZ RG 550 from evil bay. (can be had for 150 Pounds or so)......with tutorials on main site www.projectguitar.com....you can read how you can turn RG 550 into "real" JEM.......If that all works like a charms....you might wanna try something like mirror finish.

*** Edit: Saw it would be your 3rd project.....still ambitious though.......***

Good luck.

Edited by RGGR