Hard Work Pays Off. Finally

monkey69962000

Indeed, it is very cool. And GregP, I have no idea what harp harmonics are. Could you enlighten me?

Actually, those are natural harmonics. Jaco frets the notes, uses his thumb to touch the string 12 frets above what he is fretting, and picks the string with his index finger. At least, that's how I play it. Its not pinch harmonics in the guitar sense. :D

What you described is a harp harmonic.

greg

im dont think were on the same page with nodes..the position of the node dictates

i hope this makes sense

Sure, it all makes sense.

If we're not on the same page, it's because my posts are ridiculously annoying to read through at times, since I take 4 pages to say one thing. Let me break it down again, but I can't promise brevity:

- I saw you as recommending harmonic nodes that would create 'evenly divided' harmonics such as the 2nd or 4th harmonics. These are very sinusidal (sp?) and predictable in nature.

- I countered by saying that the nodes are plentiful, so I'm agreeing with your most recent post in which you say that there is more harmonic content than one would think. In response to your initial post, though, I argued that nodes are found not only at fret locations. And it's the ones found at non-fret locations that contain richer harmonic content and smaller/more oscillations (ie. a higher pitch).

- All I was getting at is that the technique you described is not the path toward "screamers", but is simply a harp harmonic with slightly altered content due to the slightly different technique compared to how a harp harmonic is normally played. But, they share the same node, and therefore are very similar.

In short: don't play your pinch harmonics over frets. Play them in your normal picking area at various spots.

- All I was getting at is that the technique you described is not the path toward "screamers", but is simply a harp harmonic with slightly altered content due to the slightly different technique compared to how a harp harmonic is normally played.  But, they share the same node, and therefore are very similar.

In short:  don't play your pinch harmonics over frets.  Play them in your normal picking area at various spots.

i agree bout not playing over the fret board. the reason i suggested trying to pinch over the twelve in the first place was because curtisP was having trouble. he had been trying them 4 2 months and hadnt got 1! if he pinch it over the 12th theres no way he could do it anywhere else.

i disagree about "my technique is not the path to screamers". pinching at half the string length is a viable (and very easy) way to get it screaming eg fret string at 22 fret pinch at half this length you should get a note an octave higher than the normally picked note

an octave higher than anything on the board

i would call this a "screamer" wouldnt you?

i disagree about "my technique is not the path to screamers".  pinching at half the string length is a viable (and very easy) way to get it screaming eg fret string at 22 fret pinch at half this length you should get a note an octave higher than the normally picked note

an octave higher than anything on the board

i would call this a "screamer" wouldnt you?

Absolutely. I think we agree and were just miscommunicating. :D For my part, I mistakenly assumed that you were recommending fretting low notes (ie. on the second fret) and pinching above a fretboard-indicated node (ie. the 14th fret), which is a pretty weak way of doing it.

But a 2nd harmonic from a note fretted at the 22nd fret will still get you a shrieker, you got that one right. At half the scale length, you'll still be with a 2nd harmonic dominating the tone, but it will be high-pitched. Your picking hand won't be over the fretboard anymore, but it will still be a half-scale-length harmonic and yep it'll scream.

AND, the technique won't have changed from what you were describing. So as it turns out, I have to change my argument and agree with you after all, since you put it that way. :D

Greg