Final Say On Good Polyurethane Clear Coat

I've never used any furniture grade poly, and doubt I ever will. For rattlecan lacquer, I highly reccomend Deft. I think Maiden found it about 3 days after I did, and we both love it. I wet sanded and buffed out after two days. It was already free of fumes and passed the fingernail test.

2ND it!

I assume you read LGM's pros and cons on various finishes. Heres my take, from my personal experience, on polyurethane. I've had good results with Minwax fast-drying clear gloss polyurethane. BUT, make sure your wood is grain-filled and smooth. After a while the poly will shrink/sink in and the pores start to show thru. ALSO, the guitar will flex around glue joints and the poly will not stretch with these expansions and contractions, it will crack along the seam lines. Poly is less forgiving in the repair area as well. Make sure the first coat is the thickest and only a very light scuffing is needed before applying the next coat. If you break through to wood while sanding and then recoat, the area can still be seen. Laquer blends in better, but lays down much thinner than poly. Thats why most autobody supply stores I've dealt with don't sell as much rattlecan laquer paint as they used to. Everyone seems to like enamel more because one coat of enamel is equal to the thickness of 3 coats of laquer.

Thanks for all your help!

Is the deft good for doing neck finish...meaning just spray that stuff on the neck and thats it, no other product?

Yes, but if the neck is bare it will take a lot of coats to get it done. I use the sanding sealer because it builds a lot faster than the laquer. same goes for all bare wood finishing.

Do you get the deft at the store? If so i am going tomorrow and getting some cans... I am gonna try it and see how it goes.

I am gonna do like 5 coats over the next week... Hopefully it will be ready to take to the studio on april 1st... Do you think there is any chance to have it polished and ready, providing i do everything right from here on out?

• 4 months later...

Sorry bout digging up an old topic but just wondering what deft is like on necks, does it give a fast finish?

Also does anyone know if you can get it in Europe?

Finaly do you guys use the clear wood finish or the Defthane Platinum Protection?

Cheers

Sorry bout digging up an old topic but just wondering what deft is like on necks, does it give a fast finish?

Also does anyone know if you can get it in Europe?

Finaly do you guys use the clear wood finish or the Defthane Platinum Protection?

Cheers

Nope to your 2 questions, and I don't know about the last one. DEFT will feel like nitro and it is not a smooth feel, it get's kinda grabby, not like tung oil or bare wood.

Cheers I will be staying away from that then. Someone said on here that for a fast finish that gives good protection you should use just one or two layers of polyurathane (sp?) then use some 0000 grit wire wool on the final finish what do you think?

Would that give enough protection in Ireland where the weather changes drematically and can be very damp?

Sorry forgot to ask, I will be using spray cans or something rub on or brush on just wondering what would be the best type of paint/laquer to use for a real fast playing finish on a maple neck? (nitro/poly etc.) Can you get a poly can?

Almost anything glossy will not be fast, so if you use the steel wool over the nitro it should be OK, but remember that in the long run, the rubbing of your hand against it will make it shinne again, so you will need to rub it again with the wool.

I haven't done anything brushed, I think it is a waist of time, since you have to be darn good in order to brush and leave no marks at all. This will translate into hours on sanding between coats or when doing the final pass.

I would rather use spray any time.