Bartolini Pickups And Accessories

GregP

Sounds good. I don't need ultra-high output in the bridge. Actually, I specifically don't WANT the highest of all outputs. I'd rather something only a bit hotter than a standard PAF.

I didn't notice a link to your website...? I'd be curious to check it out. :D

Greg

Another thing to be certain is that you can't judge Bartolini pickups by your past experiences. I've heard people say "I tried Bartolinis but they were too glassy, or too muddy, or too blah blah etc." And then they don't want to try them again. That's silly. Of all the manufacturers, he probably has the most diverse offering of anyone. Plus when you add in the fact that you the user (or the installer) can custom tailor the preamp boosts on top of that, the possibilities are limitless. It would be like saying "I'm into jazz, and I tried a Duncan Invader. I didn't like it, so I'm going to stay away from Duncans." without ever trying the '59, jazz, Seth Lover, etc. People think that if they tried them in a used guitar hanging at a chain store they're done.

Jivin-If you're keen on the EMG 81/SA/85 set, then I'd say try a V92C-B in the neck, and an E94-D in the bridge and you won't be disappointed. You'll run all three pickups through the preamp in the E94-D, and perhaps wire the boost option he suggests with the standard capacitors and resisitors included with the E94-D. That'll blow your mind. Then, when choosing the single coil for the middle, you can decide if you're going to want to be able to split the humbuckers or not. If you will, then choose between the various single coils they have, perhaps a 3XQ, that way it will cancel hum with the others. If you won't split the humbuckers, choose a hum-cancelling single.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just ordered a PBF-49 and a PBF-57 to put, respectively, in the neck and bridge positions of the guitar I haven't started building yet (but hope to start this weekend). I'll let everyone know how I like 'em once I get them put in a guitar (likely to be a month or two).