Building A Js Chrome Boy Copy

I have a old radius that i purchased last year, but it was acutally made in 1991. and now there is alot of dents and stuff in it so i am goin to sand down the finish and get autopaint spray on it.

I have already send down some of the finish but i wont send down all of them because the spray is better if there is a hard finish to support it.

Still reqire to find the push/pull pot for the guitar. anyone know where i can find them please tell me.

Also i want to convert the input jack to be like a js jack.

I know some of u guys are interested, i am goin to put up pics soon so u guys can have a good look at the guitar.

I have already send down some of the finish but i wont send down all of them because the spray is better if there is a hard finish to support it.

Well...I will sand you my regards then. :D

Just a question......have you done a search on the chrome boy finish???

Cause there is tons of info on that subject on here, and on Jemsite.com.

Pretty much all people will tell you that the chrome paint finish sucks big time.

Even this Mirrachrome stuff simply won't cut it..... etc......

Too many people tried, too many people disappointed.

As chrome plating is no option either.....you best bet is to paint guitar in nice silver/clear metallic.

Still reqire to find the push/pull pot for the guitar. anyone know where i can find them please tell me.

Gosh, .......was this hard to find........

Pots

Edited by RGGR

Id recommend sanding down all the way to the wood. Leaving orignal paint on there and painting over the top is asking for trouble. It will show up in the new finish and make it look bad. This is coming from experience. Its not that hard to sand the finish off just takes some time.

MzI

Id recommend sanding down all the way to the wood.   Leaving orignal paint on there and painting over the top is asking for trouble.  It will show up in the new finish and make it look bad.  This is coming from experience.  Its not that hard to sand the finish off just takes some time.

MzI

That is completely innaccurate. The ONLY way you will see problems from the existing finish is

a ) if you don't prep it properly

b ) if you use an incompatible paint (almost impossible with factory poly finishes, laquer is a problem)

The absolute BEST finishes are acheived over a factory finish, lets face it, all a factory finish is, is a VERY perfect wood sealer. If you go down to the wood, you have to reseal it, then put some sort of hard top coat over it again before you paint, what did you gain by sanding down to the wood? The ONLY time sanding down to wood is practicle is if you want to do a transparent finish, the original finish is damaged so badly that you can't feasably repair it, or the original finish will not be compatible with your new finish.

If you are going to attempt ANY form of chrome finish, the underlying surface MUST be perfect. The factory finish is the best place to start to get a perfect surface.

well, if the dent is very shallow, I typically try to sand it out, then I use a high build primer over it which I can block out after. If it's a deep dent, or a chip, I sand down into it to clean it, then fill with a polyester body filler, then sand out.

Primer is very important, rattle can primer isn't really a true primer, it's more of a top coat. Real primers have a filler in them so they do level and can be sanded flat.

well, if the dent is very shallow, I typically try to sand it out, then I use a high build primer over it which I can block out after.  If it's a deep dent, or a chip, I sand down into it to clean it, then fill with a polyester body filler, then sand out. 

Primer is very important, rattle can primer isn't really a true primer, it's more of a top coat.  Real primers have a filler in them so they do level and can be sanded flat.

lgm ur the most experienced guitar builder here and i am newbie how about u teach me what to do? lol and plus how i have a bad news which is that i droped the guitar body and a paint chiped, showing about half an inch of the wood and cracks arount it. i have already used a dremo tool to cut the cracks down to the wood and goin to fill it with auto filler in a couple days... hopefully that is a smart thing to do. i will send pic soon and show u the body

plus how i have a bad news which is that i droped the guitar body and a paint chiped,

Not very good start, isn't it????

meh i fxed it so its all good. only that the guitar might not sound as good because the finish cracked