Avoiding Sheild-foil Problems

thedoctor

I am a big fan of cramming too much (is there such a thing?) crap into the cavities of solid-bodies (does that mean I date athletic women?) and end up with a bunch of those little nuisance shorts that happen when you pour ten gallons in a five-gallon can. I have problems on the bottom of push-pulls and the output jack cavities that I have lined with copper. Is there an easy to use, durable insulator/tape I can use after all the soldering and stuff is done to keep from pulling these things apart time after time to find the short? I tried that white fiberglass woven 3M tape but it has no durability whatsoever. You KNOW what happens to 33+ or one of the other standard elec. tapes after about a month. The adhesive starts to let loose. Maybe I just need to do neater work. Or date lazier women.

Heat-shrink tubing will help, as will not trying to stuff 8 pounds of manure into a 5 pound bag ( :D I know, I'm as guilty as anybody - there's always room for just a little more...). You're a lot better off making your wiring short-proof than trying to insulate over the shield as a stopgap. If your terminals are all insulated, there won't be any issues except for the jack, since the pot and switch cases should all be grounded anyhow.

My nephew aka "the gripper" saw my post and said I am an idiot. Great way to start a conversation, in my book. He took one of those mylar seperator sheets out of his notebook and cut it to fit with a pair of scissors and stuffed it in "BubbleGum" my Tele 12-string. Duh! That stuff is TOUGH and I don't have to clean up my act, so to speak. That is a good thing.