2d/3d Cad Software

Bugsy0032

Bugsy, you can get ALL kinds of free or demo software but if you want to put your ideas "in motion" ie: make tool path programs and such, you will need file conversion software that converts your shape into CNC tool instructions. You can't really do this until you know what CNC file format the tool you will be using requires. CAD is fairly easy. CAM is a little more involved. Try BobCad. It at least introduces you to file conversion.

bugsy, what is your previous cad experience?

Actually none at all!! lol Although, I'm willing to learn! I use various graphic programs (photoshop, coreldraw, etc.), so learning curves Im used to. Im really wanting to not only design the new body and headstock, I want to see it in 3d as well. Making the look a little more solid, and modify where needed.

Rob

Bugsy, you can get ALL kinds of free or demo software but if you want to put your ideas "in motion" ie: make tool path programs and such, you will need file conversion software that converts your shape into CNC tool instructions. You can't really do this until you know what CNC file format the tool you will be using requires. CAD is fairly easy. CAM is a little more involved. Try BobCad. It at least introduces you to file conversion.

Hmmmm? Bobcad sounds interesting. I've never heard of it. I'll check into that. I have been pondering the idea of "DesignCAD 3D Studio Max v14", which I did find some examples and tutorials on. I did see some of the freebies on freecad.com, which I downloaded, just haven't installed yet. Fact is, I didn't even think about the CNC part of it!!! Definately food for thought.

thanks

Rob

Drawing guitars in 2D is pretty staight forward. 3D gets to be a PITA when you try to do complex things like the carve of a Les Paul top or a neck. I've tried both surface modeling and solid modlers (Solidworks) and I found surface modeling worked best for me as far a getting CNC machinable drawings. I just couldn't get the solid modeler (solidworks) to do what I wanted it to do. I used Mastercam to design the les paul in this thread:

my lp thread