Neck Thru

I like to rebuild or upgrade old guitars and would like to build a few from the ground up. I do not want to hand shape a neck both for the time and work it involves. I have tried to find plans for a router jig to make it a bit simpler but have had no luck.

So, does anyone know where I can purchase a neck. There are good sources for a bolt on but that doesn't work with my plans. A neck thru or deep set would be needed to do what i want.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

I like to rebuild or upgrade old guitars and would like to build a few from the ground up.  I do not want to hand shape a neck both for the time and work it involves.  I have tried to find plans for a router jig to make it a bit simpler but have had no luck.

So, does anyone know where I can purchase a neck.  There are good sources for a bolt on but that doesn't work with my plans.  A neck thru or deep set would be needed to do what i want.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

On this forum.. a builder with a site called Soulmate Guitars For a more generic shape Carvin sells prebuilt necks where you just add wings.

I just checked out the Neal Moser site. So he and his shop guys were responsible for the GOOD B.C. Rich stuff back in the 70's. I didn't know that. Looking at his designs, I can believe it. They are very cool, unique, and badass, just like BCR used to be back in the day...

I have used Carvin bolt-on replacement necks, and I absolutely love them. I just got my first neck-thru from them in the mail yesterday, and the quality is there on it, too. It's very similar to the bolt replacement neck, except the scale is 25.0" instead of 25.5", and the ebony fingerboard edges haven't been rounded up above the 24th fret. It's still square. There's alot of wood left on the heel too, as the neck shape starts turning to heel at about the 15th fret, and becomes the full body thickness of 1.7" at about the 18th fret.

I've heard alot of good things about USA custom guitars and warmoth, but have no personal experience with either.

Good luck!

I just checked out the Neal Moser site.  So he and his shop guys were responsible for the GOOD B.C. Rich stuff back in the 70's.  I didn't know that.  Looking at his designs, I can believe it.  They are very cool, unique, and badass, just like BCR used to be back in the day...

I have used Carvin bolt-on replacement necks, and I absolutely love them.  I just got my first neck-thru from them in the mail yesterday, and the quality is there on it, too.  It's very similar to the bolt replacement neck, except the scale is 25.0" instead of 25.5", and the ebony fingerboard edges haven't been rounded up above the 24th fret.  It's still square.  There's alot of wood left on the heel too, as the neck shape starts turning to heel at about the 15th fret, and becomes the full body thickness of 1.7" at about the 18th fret. 

I've heard alot of good things about USA custom guitars and warmoth, but have no personal experience with either. 

Good luck!

For the price, the Carvin is the best bet, the only draw back I found was that it only comes in 22 frets for bolt on, but I got serious plans for my next one if  Idon't make a neck, can you say Carvin neck thru converted into Carvin Set neck???

I was thinking the same thing, sort of. :D The neck extension could be shortened and trimmed a bit and glued into a body.

Here's my plan at this moment (could change any time!) I wanted to build a neck-thru but I don't like seeing the neck wood running through the body top. So I plan to trim the neck extension down by the thickness of the top, attach some wings, and then glue the top on to get back to the proper body thickness. Still working on the design...

The hardest part for me will be when I'm ready to trim that neck... :D scary stuff there. Taking that nice Carvin neck-thru to a saw!! I might chicken out...

This will be the most advanced guitar building project I've attempted, but so far it's alot of fun.