Pickup Cavity Fillers

Hey! I bought a " Nova" guitar body and neck for 30 bucks from a friend. I am planning to only have a cavity for 1 humbucker with a pickguard only covering the controls area (Like the EVH 5150 guitars). What can I use as a filler to fill these cavities?

Also, the neck headstock shape looks attrocious. Can I cut it off, replace the piece of maple and reshape the headstock without altering the tone SIGNIFICANTLY?

Aswell, it has a rosewood fretboard which i want to remove to just have a maple fret board. Can i just remove it and put on a maple fretboard and install the frets myself?

Thanks

Robbie

Hey! I bought a " Nova" guitar body and neck for 30 bucks from a friend. I am planning to only have a cavity for 1 humbucker with a pickguard only covering the controls area (Like the EVH 5150 guitars). What can I use as a filler to fill these cavities?

Also, the neck headstock shape looks attrocious. Can I cut it off, replace the piece of maple and reshape the headstock without altering the tone SIGNIFICANTLY?

Aswell, it has a rosewood fretboard which i want to remove to just have a maple fret board. Can i just remove it and put on a maple fretboard and install the frets myself?

Thanks

Robbie

It just so happenes that the 5150 thread in "in progress" shows just how to do that.. check it out it's pretty neat.

you're could be asking for problems if you the headstock off. it can and has been done and if you have descent tools it can be done very nicely. but you can buy a used neck on ebay and not worry about it.

if i were filling a pickup pocket i'd cut a filler block of wood that would fit as tight as possible to the sides and end and just a fraction taller than the depth of the pocket. glue it in and after it cures fill the voids with bondo. it doesn't shrink and paints well. if the voids are fairly large do it in steps. don't try to fill them all at once. press some in and when it cures press some more until you're slightly higher than the top of the body and then sand flat.

good luck