Pickup Rust

22fretmaple

Hey Guys

Im not sure if this is the right area for this but yeah.

I couldn't seem to find anything on the topic and i've searching for a while. I dunno if any of you guys have experienced this (unless i've been jipped all along)

but my pickups on my fender which i bought say around 6 months back are starting to build up on rust. I try to clean them everytime i switch strings but its definetely rust. I also pick up rust on whatever else on the guitar that is capable of picking up rust (ie. screws also which i now replaced with stainless steal ones - but i kept the old ones - im not stupid)

So yeah My dad said to try put vasaline on them as a protective coat, that seems to have slowed down the process a bit and not affected the sound.

But yeah...

Anyone can help thanks a bunch!

Whether its goto do with Prevention of Rust or Removal of Rust is great!

If it helps the Pickups are the Alnico poles/magnets.

Thanks

How are you storing it? I have a bunch of different guitars from cheep clones to top of the line models, some stored in cases some hung on the wall.....and not one has ever showed any kind of rust. Instead of checking out the instrument, you may want to check the enviroment its in. Do you wipe it down ofter you play? Do you live in a humid area? You may want to keep it in a case with some of those moisture absorbant packs.

George

It is pretty humid where i am, i wipe down the strings each time i play yeah, im also going Elixirs for my next set because they don't rust and will be better for me in the long run as i play a good 2hrs a day i'd say.

I store it in the tweed case. But yeah, Masterminds could you also tell me on the machine heads/tuning pegs of any of your guitars (mainly Chrome based so far i've come to) have you had any experience of like little specs of multiple bumps on them at all?

'Cause ive also got a little bit of that happening and one of my cheapies is full of it (had that one for a while ago).

So taht's my situation anyone got any ideas on that like anti-rust stuff you can buy at Hardware and Car outlets? Is it effective, would it screw up the sound? I mean it is a Fender i don't want to go stuffing it all up...

Thanks...

Edited by 22fretmaple

Any way you can post a pic? There is no way chrome hardware should be pitting that quickly. I have hardware on my boat in saltwater that doesn't corrode that fast. Definately something strange going on.

George

I can't seem to be able to get a good shot at the pickups..hmm...

I reckon it might be from sweat that could be part of it.

With the chrome hardware alas the Tunning Pegs, i can get a decent shot of those.

Its just little specs (pitting is what you called it is it?)

But yeah i dunno any ideas for restoration?

And i do take very good care of my guitars everyday wipe the strings down clean rub the body with a cloth (fender cloth). But yeah.

Edited by 22fretmaple