Startin My First

You dont need to have baritone length for a 7-stringer. Id go with 25.5in.

.. what would i need if i did seven strings and dropped it 3 (or two and a half, depending on how you look at it lol) steps so that.. the first 6 would be B standard and the 7th string is.. wait.. what WOULD the 7th string be if i did that.. ?

?-b-e-a-d-g-b

The standard guitar tuning cycle is this:

E a d g b E a d g b E a d g b

It's a cycle of 5 pitches in order. Since a guitar is six strings, it repeats the first chosen note once. So, if you want a seven string, you'd get the following, low to high - in standard tuning

B E A D G B E

Basically normal with one lower cycle on low string. If you're tunining the entire thing so each string is one less, then you want to go for the lowest seven strings of an 8 string guitar in standard tuning.

G B E A D G B

That'd be your seven string tuning dropped a full string in the standard tuning.

But, you have a second option. Instead of going with standard tuning of a guitar, dropped one full string with a low seventh - you could go with the guitars standard INTERVALS, not the actual pitch tunes.

The intervals are, of course:

Perfect 4th - Perfect 4th - Perfect 4th - Major Third - Perfect 4th

Or, if you don't know what that means.

up 5 notes - up 5 notes - up 5 notes - up 4 notes - up 5 notes

So you could go that route, starting from any point. I think both are your options - and you might experiment with them. One will give you standard power chord shapes, the other might provide you better chord forms, and more familiar lead lines.

PS: Sorry if one of the notes/intervals in this is wrong I am doing this off top of my head.

that was an unnessasary tangent. thanks for tryin to help, but i was just tryin to get the right note off the top o my head, and as you can see, we got it. :D:D

PS: im droppin two and a half (or three depending on how you look at it) steps on the 1st-6th strings and the seventh string down another step. so it would be E.

Edited by 1nf1d3l

PS: im droppin two and a half (or three depending on how you look at it) steps

it's always considered two and a half steps, never three. just going by the low string, you drop B to A, first step, A to G, second step, and then G to F#, just a half step. (of course then you're gonna put it down in drop E so that'll bring it down another whole step)

weeeell. i AM doing this design now, with a few minor changes here and there to "bring it together" a little better.. i also added lines inside the guitar giving me an idea of where id have to cut if i do a thru body*see pic*, but i have to find a neck before i do that, so... OFF TO EBAY, and to email soulmate to get a price for a thrubody. id LOVE to do one.. but if its too expensive.. then i might have to settle for a bolt-on, which isnt really a problem.. but the string thru just sounds more appealing to me i guess...

guitar1-design1.jpg

1nf1d31guitar.jpg

only design change i'd suggest is making the area i have circled a smooth curve.  the rest of the guitar is all flowing curves, so i think it just looks out of place as it is.

ahaha.. actually, that happened when i darkened the lines so they would show up :D

I don't really like it, but:

a) my opinion is (and SHOULD be!) irrelevant

:D lots of guitars that I didn't initially like, I now love!

The only thing that really concerns me is the proximity of the upper cutaway "horn" to the neck. I really think it'll get in the way.

Greg

I don't really like it, but:

a) my opinion is (and SHOULD be!) irrelevant

B) lots of guitars that I didn't initially like, I now love!

The only thing that really concerns me is the proximity of the upper cutaway "horn" to the neck.  I really think it'll get in the way.

Greg

:D

actually, i was a bit worried about that cutaway a little myself, but since this is drawn on what would be the "back" of the guitar (since im right handed and all), it wouldnt do anything even if it WAS close. but i did a check, and its actually got about an inch clearance, so its all good :D

the body

guitar1-cutout1.jpg

another shot of the body. the black marks are from the power sander, ill sand those off with something later

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/1nf...ar1-cutout2.jpg

shots of the first messup. we used a bandsaw to cut as much of it out as we could, but when we had to do the wings, we used a jigsaw, and since i didnt want to mess it up(didnt matter LOL), i let my grandpa do it, and he accidentally went on the wrong side of the line.. its covered up with wood filler, and its just a little slice into the wing :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/1nf...ar1-messup1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/1nf...ar1-messup2.jpg