Is This Shoddy Inlay Work...?

Forget about the shoddy fretwork & fretboard scars (try not to let that color your opinion)...take a look at the amount of filler between the inlay and the rout, and the edges of the MOP cuts.

I'm trying to calibrate my inlay quality meter...is this "average" inlay quality? Below average? Is it too much to expect a much tighter inlay fit? :D

LPinlay.jpg

First off I'm guessing it's pearloid, not pearl, right?

I have never seen real pearl with that triangular pattern to it. Only pearloid (plastic).

Second. It's absolutely fine. It's really really good, hows that? :D

I have had a little more filler around some of my work in areas than you have in that, it's just a matter of how your blending it in. That looks like epoxy to me. CA and wood dust turns up almost completely un-noticeable at 320 grit. You want a little gappage.

Too tight and the inlays could pop out as the wood expands and contracts.

It's also really closely viewed. I am sure it looks great in real life.

Good job!

As for the very slight roughness around the edges, yes a bit of filing could help, but it's so little..

Craig Lavin

www.handcraftinlay.com

It beats Gibson factory work. And while that's not saying much, I think you at least proved that you can do it. In other words, its not something that you shoud hire out to someone else, unless you are going to sell your guitars. I personally wouldn't pay for inlay work like that, but like I said, it beats many of Gibson's offerings, and for a pearloid trapezoid inlay, that's your benchmark. People buy expensive Gibsons like that every day. But also because it's just a trapezoid with rounded edges, you should be able to achieve total perfection, with no filler at all. So keep at it!

Meh...didn't mean to fool you guys....but...its not my work. You're looking at a factory Gibson inlay, from a 2004 LP Standard Desertburst. Factory fret job too (but that's a whole 'nuther story).

I'm surprised Gibson would put perloid on a LP Std...unless it's a 50s reissue (don't know for sure).

The inlay work looked pretty good to me, especially since I've heard it is more difficult to fill in rosewood than ebony (my '83 LP custom ebony board looks a bit better). But the denizens of the LP forum are saying anything from "looks fine!" to "totally unacceptable for such an expensive instrument" so I really didn't know what to think.

I've never done inlay, but I'd be more or less pleased if my first attempt looked like that.

Gibson hardly puts real pearl on anything anymore. They have become the most overpriced guitars for the money I have seen. (IMHO)

I am sure thats plastic.

PRS started out being fantastic, but now they too are slipping in quality, woods, etc.. Mainly in woods. Their build is still relatively sound.

C.Lavin

Meh...didn't mean to fool you guys....but...its not my work.  You're looking at a factory Gibson inlay, from a 2004 LP Standard Desertburst.  Factory fret job too (but that's a whole 'nuther story).

You know, that almost makes my post more true. :D

I still wouldn't pay good money for it, and they should hire it out to someone else if they're going to charge that kind of money! :D

C.Lavin

Right...I knew your name was Craig, but when I see your handle I can't help but think "Cliff Clavin" from Cheers. Thanks for the ground-truth on Gibson's work.

Yes, I think the general consensus is that Gibson's fit & finish have gone to pot in a big way. That fret job was straight off the GC shelf, on a brand new guitar, from what I understand. I lot of guys on the LP forum saw that photo, then went to check their own Lesters, and came back & said "yeah, you know, I see that on mine too! Never noticed it before...".