Clear Knobs?

I was looking at some LP-style knobs and I started to think... If I choose a small object, attach it to a base of some sort, and then start spraying it in thick layers(by maybe using side supports or "walls") until the clear builds up so I could carve it into a knob.

Would it result a strong and clear knob?

As to pot hole, that would possibly go into the lil' object.

Would that kind of clear buildup be possible?

-------------

Jimbo

Edited by JimRayden

I was looking at some LP-style knobs and I started to think... If I choose a small object, attach it to a base of some sort, and then start spraying it in thick layers(by maybe using side supports or "walls") until the clear builds up so I could carve it into a knob.

Would it result a strong and clear knob?

As to pot hole, that would possibly go into the lil' object.

Would that kind of clear buildup be possible?

-------------

Jimbo

Wouldn't work.

For one, With the amount of laquer you'd use it probably wouldn't cure. Think about how long it takes clear to cure after 10 or so coats on a guitar, and thats thin coats!

Also, do you realise how much laquer you would actually use?

Best bet if you want to try and carve your own it to buy some plexi glass/clear plastic blocks and carve from that, even then, the amount of polishing you'd have to do wouldn't be worth it. Also your technique would have to be spot on, any kind of clear plastic/acrylic like that is very unforgiving!