Adding Custom Graphics

Hello,

I'm thinking of adding a custom graphic I've designed myself onto a Jackson Soloist (either natural or semi-trans violin brown finish).

Here is a picture of the design that I have photoshopped onto a picture a Soloist I found on the Jackson Guitars website:

soloist_resize.jpg

I wanted to keep everything solid colour and simple as this would be my first attempt at anything like this.

My question is what would be the best way to go about doing this? I plan to keep this guitar with me for a long time, so I would require a technique that would ensure longevity of the colours and everything. Also are there are issues with painting over an already finished body I should know about? (eg: would I have to sand off some of the existing clear coat first?)

Cost isn't really a problem for this project - aslong as it remains reasonable and significantly cheaper than a professional paintjob. It also has to be do-able without having to buy any expensive apparatus. (spray guns, etc)

So, any suggestions? I thank everyone in advance for their time.

EDIT: If there's a simple technique available, I would also like to "burn" some of the petals to give it a wilted effect. I didn't draw the petals quite right as they're supposed to be wilting. This will be rectified on my final design.

Edited by electric_extremist

• 1 month later...

Bump

I tried finding a tutorial on this in the forum but I just couldn't find anything specific enough.

Can a design be painted on an already finished guitar after sanding a bit of the finish, or does everything have to fully be stripped back down to the bare wood? Also is it possible to spray clear coat over an existing clearcoat after the painting is finished?

Could someone help me please?

Edited by electric_extremist

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1362

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1362

http://home.flash.net/~guitars/ReRanch101.html

use the search function better, there are lots of threads that can help you, you just need to read.

Also, sand it down to the sealer,don't go to the bare wood, otherwise us the search function and read those there links.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I'm debating between painting it on a white soloist with matching headstock, or the natural finish. I personally have an attraction towards white finishes (especially with gold hardware), but white soloists with the matching headstock are pretty hard to find. I found one on eBay, but the seller doesn't reply to emails or something.

I'm new to the whole guitar building and finishing thing, so I'm a bit intimidated. Wouldn't want to ruin a pretty expensive guitar.

What do you guys think would look nicer? The natural finish, or the white finish with matching headstock (and white binding)?

There's an article in the new issue of Guitar Player that just may help you out.

Dan Erlewine started a new column about customizing guitars using his shop apprentices and their personal projects. The inaugural column is about doing graphics with tape stencils! Your design is cool and I hope it works to your satisfaction.

I'm just working on screenprinting ideas for guitars. I'm going down to my shop today to try some stuff out. Your design would be a good candidate. If you or somebody you know does any screenprinting, it could be an option for you. It looks like the Jackson's body is flat enough to try it out. You've only got a couple colors going on there. I think it would be possible to get a great looking finish if you, sanded the original clear until it was flat looking everywhere with maybe 1000 grit. Then you'll need each color as it's own image on a screen. If you printed the basic colors that way, and came in on top with an airbrush, you could have something fantastic. Then again, maybe you don't know so much about screenprinting, in which case, this is totally useless to you. you could tape off the colors seperately and hit em with rattle cans. Then go in overtop with a airbrush. I'm gonna post a new topic on here, and see if there's anybody with experience printing on flat guitars.

Billy Bones

Hey thanks everyone for the advice!

Wyldbil, would you happen to know where I could find this article? Which issue of Guitar Player? I'll try searching the web incase it's posted on the internet. Do you remember what the name of the article was?

I'll try to look on the internet for information on screenprinting too. I was originally planning to make stencils for the simple shapes of the design like the flower and the heart, then hand paint with a brush the black outlines so they would feel more natural, and accentuated. I just wasn't sure if i could paint over clear coat without any nasty messes forming or if i would have to sand off all the clear and refinish the entire thing. Thanks for filling me in on how to paint on the clear though.

Is hand painting okay for designs? I don't know if it will cause too much relief or not, and cause an uneven finish after reapplying clearcoat.