My Archtop Project

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cutter is an old version of safe-t-plane that is NOT safe,  I run it on the cnc machine and keep the fingers on the Keyboard! 

Safe t plane that's not safe... you should see the cylinder block planner (is it call like that) that Imade with our machininst, back in '89. It was an old VW beetle flywheel lighthened, and notched to accept 4 cutters on the sides. worked like a charm, but keep your fingers out of its way!

Definitely not OSHA approved... Sorry about no progress for the week, I was out of town but I actually got to play a little guitar live. It's been a long time for me...

Pictures of the neck progress, I wanted to machine this on the cnc as well. I tried several different versions of jig and approach. This is one of the jigs, the prototype neck and the cherry neck all posing. The truss rod slot slips on the spline on the jig and the heel is indexed to the edge.

archtop006-1.gif

This is the cutter in action. I didn't use this jig for the finished neck. The 1" ball mill doesn't have enough clearance for the collet so the neck had to be cut in two setups left and right. The heel is too high laying flat and the collet hits it cutting around the base of the neck at the heel block. The solution is a larger diameter ball mill and a new setup which I'm working on right now. Lot's of first time mistakes and experimenting...

archtop008.gif

Neck and body have to be joined up. I decided to go traditional and use a dovetail. This scared me but no guts no glory so I started measuring and designing the jigs. The dovetail has to be cut on the neck before the neck extension is glued on or it gets in the way. Here is the neck in the jig, the jig automatically cuts the 4 1/2 deg. neck angle into the heel.

archtop013.gif

this is the new neck setup so I can cut the whole neck in one pass. It is a complex toolpath and I didn't like cutting it in two passes side for side, too much margin for error. You can see the prototype in the foreground and the collet/ neck heel interference requiring the 2"dia. ball mill.

archtop004-3.gif

Edited by donald k wilson

I'm back... Lots of sanding at this point, nothing too exciting. A couple of small steps forward on the little things. I decided on a logo for the headstock and I'm doing it a little differently. I have a simple letter carving program for sign making and I "v-carved" the logo. this was fun during all the sanding monotony.

archtop004-4.gif

Here is a quick jig for sanding the back of the neck. It has a 12" radius carved into it which cradles the fretboard keeping it from rocking and I can get all around the neck at the same time. There is another neck jig and a carved top for a single cutaway on the cnc table in the background...

archtop005-1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

And finally... into the finish room. 3 layer stain transparency and pad applied spirit varnish for the antique look. I have 4 applications of varnish so far and at least two to go. This finish is not a money maker!!! The color is a little off in this pic, the light in my finish room is not condusive to photos. Next stop final assembly and STRIIIIIINGS.

archtop006-2.gif

I don't care what that thing is or was or could be made out of. Wow...beautiful work. I would play it.