Follow Up On K&k Big Shot On Djembe

Daniel Sorbera

I finally got my K&K big shot peizo pickup in the mail today so I mounted it on my djembe too see what it sounds like. I mounted it on the head about 4 inchs in and on the outside of the head. It doesn't sound as good when running strait into the 1/4" of my acoustic amp but when run through a DI into the XLR in on my amp it sounds REALLY good. I would recomend some kind of preamp to convert it to low impedance as it sounds much better. I am building one that will give me volume, bass, mid, and treble. I highly recomend this pickup as it sounds great, is cheap, and is easy to install.

i'm curious about something..i know i always look for the "sweet spot" on an acoustic when i'm mounting a peizo. did you try anywhere on the body of the drum before you mounted it to the head? and if so what did it sound like? reason i'm asking is that i'm about to make a box drum and have been wondering how that type of pup would sound. by the way, l.r. baggs makes an end pin pre-amp for their pups that you can buy separately and add on.

Last night I went and practiced with a bunch of my friends and we had it REALLY loud in there (not my decision :D ) So I had too turn my djembe way up. It sounds AMAZING crancked through a good PA. It was plenty loud enough too keep up with everybody else and I never got any feedback from it even though the pickup is near in the middle of the head. It was run through a DI to convert it too low impedence. Without the DI it wasn't very loud. I'm going to buy a behringer Tube preamp.

Edited by Godin SD