Cleaning Off Spray Paint

The previous owner of my MIJ strat had the bright idea of spray painting the front of the body....looks like all he did was give it a pretty light coat, no clear coat.

I've decided to sell the guitar, so I'd like to clean off the spray paint. But I want to preserve the original finish, if possible.

I'm thinking I can clean it off using Acetone, wiping it on, wiping it off right away. But I'm wondering what that will do to the original finish on the guitar? Will I be able to polish it up so it's passable?

In a different but similar thread somewhere somebody said something about maybe wetsanding the spray paint off then polishing the original finish.

Or something like that.

I'm thinking that acetone will actually be gentler to the existing finish--of course I could be far off base. But after I've removed the spray paint with acetone, I'd be able to wet sand the finish to get it all shiny again, if necessary.

Hmmm....I have a guitar here that I can test this on, since I'm planning on stripping it anyway.

Gasoline. I have used it and it is way better than acetone or paint thinner. Paint thinner use to gum up the paint you are taking out and gasoline doesn't. Make sure you do this in a ventilated outside area, and use rubber gloves, not latex. Acetone will work good, but IM experience gasoline is easier.

Naptha all the way.  Acetone would be right down the bottom of my list unless I aimed to strip the whole guitar back to wood- it eats most finishes for supper.

Naptha it is then!

I think I'll stay away from gasoline...I get the feeling the guitar would reek forever after that.

But isn't the lighter fluid naptha mixed with something else? Time for another trip to the hardware store I guess (like I'm not there every other day!)