Question About "4 To 5 String Convert"

i was looking on hipshots website and iseen the "convert your 4 string bass to a 5 string" and i was wondering if the pack was just a 5 string bridge and the tuning machines that also required a new neck

Edited by Hughes

You get the bridge, nut and 5 new tuners. The pic shows where you just add the 5th tuner to the existing headsock (Fender style) so you won't need a new neck. You will end up with string spacing that is closer than the 4. I would contact Hipshot and see just what the spacing is so you're not disappointed when you get the system mounted. If you can play guitar fingerstyle then it shouldn't be a problem to have your strings closer on your bass. The bridge pic they how actually doesn't look too close but I imagine on the nut end they will be closer than you're used to.

Edit: I was thinking that the Fender 4 and 5 strings are pretty close in nut width (don't have the exact numbers on hand) so you may not really notice a difference at all.......

Edited by bluespresence

The only issue I have run across is the spacing from the outside strings to the edge of the neck. It gets a little hairy at the 16th fret on newer Js. Mad slappers are NOT gonna like it. I would get a blank nut and put them closer together but that is just me.

Do not forget the pickup issues if you don't have big soapbars!

Edited by thedoctor

ok thanks, the reason i was wonsdering was becasue im almost done my 4 string neck, and i kinda wished that i would of made a 5 string neck in stead. would it work to buy a different brand 5 string bridge+nut and put it on a 4 string?