Ringing Problems

duo2

I have a fender 57 P-bass that I've recently started to play a lot more. Everything on it is original and I havn't adjusted anything except for the truss rod since I got it from the previous owner. I'm having a problem with excess noise while I'm playing. When I'm playing the vibration from what I'm playing causes the other strings to ring out. Not really loud enough to be a serious problem but it really annoys me. If I lower the pickups back into the body farther will this help to reduce excess noise? If so will it hurt my tone? A couple of the pole peices are staggered and it's usually the A string that rings out if either of those make a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a good chance that something may be loose inside the pickup, could be windings, or pickup to mounting plate areas. The solution might be to get the pickups "potted" which is dipping them in melted bees wax to seal everything up. I was thinking that the pickups might have gone microphonic but the symptoms you mention don't fit that category. Any type of feedback sound coming out of the pickups? Anyway, to learn more do a google search on "microphonic pickups" and you can narrow things down a bit.