What Are Your Opinions On This Painting Method?

Hey all, I was wondering if this finishing technique found at this site works well or not?

http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/

I see some paint jobs on there that are awesome and I want to do the same thing. I just want to get some opinions on this before I shell out 20 dollars. Is it likely that you can get good results using this method with spray paint cans? Thanks for providing information to a newbie...

I don't know how much of a newbie you are, for your joined date I will say you are a hit and go advertizer, but I will give you the benefit of a doubt.

Somebody here was "spamming"...errr, I mean advertizing that site not so long ago. The one that painted the black and white strat advertized on that site. It is OK, but why would you pay for that book when all the information that is on it is here for free. The only thing I would get from them, if you are interested on an actual copy of any guitar shown there is the templates. Other than that, browse the pages here and in the main page.

Why do you say that about his join date? He joined almost 2 years ago before we were so big. If you look at his 10 posts, he's never even mentioned this product before. Anyhow, on topic, I'd say don't buy it. Like Maiden says, you can find all the info on this site, and if you have any problems, you have free tech support :D.

Man I tell ya,

A lot of people around here are a bit too testy for me. The guy just had a question. A few people got nasty with me just after I joined and it seems a waste.

For 20 bucks, man, you won't have to search if you don't want to and I'll bet your axe looks great.

For 20 bucks I would use search button on this site....read LGM great painting tutorials.....go through even more threads with search button and learn ever more then collection of so-called advice bundled in booklet.

Just my $20.

Edited by RGGR

Devon. like I said, I was giving him the benefit of a doubt, since I was in a rush out of the office.

Sexybeast, have you taken your time to post long replys to some one and then feel like he is either ignoring you, and everybody else in the forum and waisting your time? Nope? This is probably the reason why you feel that way!

I will appologize for not taking the time to look at his previous posts, and this is the reason I still posted a reply to his question.

If I wanted to be an AH I would have just posted the 1st sentence in my post. And for $20, I will make a copy of the topics here in the forum and mail it to you, then send the $20 to Brian to help support the forum.

That makes sense, Maiden.  Still seems to me that some dudes sre a bit testy.

Depends on the time of day for me....

Anyway, about the site...I'd say it's a waste of money, since you can find all the info here in PGF for free...plus you can pose your questions about your project and get personalized responses --because your project and situation may not fit the cookie cutter mold you need with books like this.

Sexy, I have to agree with you to a point. There are quite a few "testy" people out there and, in a lot of cases, it is deserved. There are folk that will promote and advertise under the guise of a forum "newbie" and the "testy" folk are just protecting the forum's integrity. There are others that just LOVE to jump on any small flaw in your reply and "act big". The last group is the few that cannot make a simple criticism without sounding like a rude ass. Ingore the last two groups and respect the first. Now I must add the obligatory IMHO.

So much controversy over such an inane point. I'm a complete newbie looking for some experienced advice on a painting method which I recently saw in a major guitar enthusiast publication.

Anyway, thank you to those who added worthwhile information.

Willin, there will always be controversy with this type of post. Is an automatic defense mechanism that kicks in when the slight bit of Spam is smelled in the air...

In this case it was a false alarm, nothing like a little fire drill to get the adrenaline pumping!

man if you want to see testy go to a couple of the computer forums and you'll see testy..you guys are all saints compared to some of those pr**ks. :D

sexybeast has a really good point . lucky there are always good people here who are welling to help out the lambs"noobs". i think the book could be a fun read, you can never have to many guitar books. plus this shows a few neat little tricks,i download it just to see what was all about.

I think sometimes guys jump newer members or are a bit heavy handed with them. That said I feel frustrated sometimes myself, but I will usually ignore the post and just move on.

That said. Maiden is one of the most eager to help board members around here. I know he has posted a lot of helpful advise and makes this board a much better place. I am not going to second guess him. I know his intensions are positive.

Back on topic: I would look at LGM's threads and Tutorials, he is a gifted artist and brings a wealth of rock solid advise. There are several very talented people that post to the board that bring their expert advice to all of us for free. I would read and learn as much as possible from them if I were in your shoes.

P.S. If all I have to evaluate that book by is the guitars on the page you refered to. I would not buy the book. I would look at a few Guitar of the month winners and use those as a reference as to who is a better source for information. (just my 2 cents)

Peace, Rich