Martin Backpacker

selmac

I'm looking at getting a martin backpacker and was wondering what other people thought of them and if they're worth it or if I should just get a regular acoustic or one of those small ovations. also if it's worth getting the pickup in the backpacker or not. right now I only have a strat but my dad has an old yamaha acoustic that he never uses so what do you guys think I should do? thanks

I bought a backpacker about 5 years ago and I've maybe used it 5 times... Don't bother. It's so uncomfortable.

If you want to get a travel guitar, I strongly suggest the Baby Taylor. They sound great for their size and they have a classy look.

If you want to get a nice acoustic for around $300, I reccomend Ibanez's, Alvarez's, and I've *heard* great things about Seagulls. Pick what suits you best.

I've had a Taylor Big Baby for about 3 years and LOVE it. It's probably the best guitar under $500. The regular Babies rock, too. Good tops, quality construction, and attention to detail set them apart.

I wasn't too big on the Martin backpacker because it's too quiet. I mean, unless you're actually backpacking with it, it's a pretty worthless instrument. Seagullls are made by LaSiDo in Canada and are decent, although I find the necks extremely uncomfortable. Good quality otherwise, built like a Martin with less desirable tonewoods.

i've never played a taylor baby, but then again i've never played a taylor that i didn't love. (i can't say the same for martin)

i haven't tried seagulls out more than just playing in a guitar shop, but i was very impressed for the time i played them. the necks feel great to me, so try them out and see whether you like them or not.

<Obi-Wan aboard the MF approaching the Death Star>

That's not plywood, it's High Pressure Laminate!

</Obi-Wan aboard the MF approaching the Death Star>

It's the same plasticky stuff they make kitchen countertops out of--not even real wood. At least the Taylors have solid spruce tops and sapele plywood for the back and sides.

I'm looking at getting a martin backpacker and was wondering what other people thought of them and if they're worth it or if I should just get a regular acoustic or one of those small ovations. also if it's worth getting the pickup in the backpacker or not. right now I only have a strat but my dad has an old yamaha acoustic that he never uses so what do you guys think I should do? thanks

What's the point of a pickup in a backpacker guitar? For gigs or recording, a backpacker is taboo. As traveling guitar, a pickup is of use only in combination with an amp, but you wouldn't travel with an amp at all, no?

The question is, why do you want a backpacker guitar? And what for?

If it's for practicing, a Yamaha Silent Guitar is even better. If it's to have a reasonably good sounding acoustic that is also of light weight, I think there are better alternatives. If its not only a "light weight" question, but of space, there are also other alternatives... Look for travel(ing) guitars... Try them out and decide for yourself...

Personally, I would not buy it.

<Obi-Wan aboard the MF approaching the Death Star>

That's not plywood, it's High Pressure Laminate!

</Obi-Wan aboard the MF approaching the Death Star>

It's the same plasticky stuff they make kitchen countertops out of--not even real wood. At least the Taylors have solid spruce tops and sapele plywood for the back and sides.

Yeah, but I think the Martin sounds better than the Taylor. But that's just me.

The Martin backpacker guitar is nice if you want a guitar to stick in your backpack... but it's not nice if you want a guitar to play. Ever. They sound like crap and they're the most uncomfortable guitars I've ever used :D. (Please note, I've never used a broomstick)

The baby Taylor really is as good as everyone is saying - I couldn't believe it the first time I heard one.

basically I want an acoustic guitar I can take with me on car trips and such. I live in a family of 5 so space is premium. I was thinking of getting the pickup just to increase it's versatility. so most people would sugjest the baby taylor over the martin backpacker?

Yes, get the baby taylor with a gig bag. You won't regret it. I love the premiere model Martins, but getting the backpacker is a *big* waste of money. You'll get sick of the thing after playing it a hand full of times. The neck is shaped oddly - like the fat end of a baseball bat. The thing quite literally sounds like a cigar box guitar and to add insult to injury - well... just look at it. Remember, this is all coming from someone who owns one, hahhaa.

On the other hand, I also own a baby taylor which is a pleasure to play. Admittedly, I tend to stick to my full sized acoustics, but the taylor is till very nice. It looks like it was made on this planet, and due to some ingenious bracing it booms. Lastly, it's not too much bigger than the backpacker when you take into account case size and such. Trust us on this one and get a baby taylor.

basically I want an acoustic guitar I can take with me on car trips and such. I live in a family of 5 so space is premium. I was thinking of getting the pickup just to increase it's versatility. so most people would sugjest the baby taylor over the martin backpacker?