How Much Can Be Done With A Router?

How many guys use pretty much just a router to build guitars? I have a band saw but find myself using my router more just cause if i take the time to make a couple templates or something things just seem to come out a lot better then if i use my band saw and sand things into thier place. Just wondeirng if anyone else does the same?

I personally use a router as little as possible. I don't know what it is about them, they just never really felt very safe to me. I usually only use it for pickup cavities and the neck pocket. I use it for the control cavity if it's a 1 piece back. I might be more apt to use it when I get one with more power. My thing is, a few of the things you do with a router can be done by hand nearly as fast with less risk of screwing up your work or hurting yourself.

I'm with you, Duff. I bandsaw the outline and start carving, slowly, until I have a good idea of what I am making. I used to route all the pickup pockets and back-routes but now I carve with a razor-knife and 4 or five good, sharp chisels. It gives you time to think out what you are doing.

Routers are great for some things. Carving is great for others. I use one router mounted in a table most of the time. Others are for neck and pickup cavities. They can get out of hand sometimes, but using templates really improves accuracy. I had a carbide bit shatter and blow out the back side of a new neck shaft while creating the truss rod channel last week. So yeah, it's a tool to be respected, and it comes with it's own set of issues.

There is a really cool device that some use for body shaping called RoboSander. Instead of a big pattern bit on a router, it's a big sander drum with a rub collar. Use it to shape the outside of the body.

If you're only making one of something, then you can set aside the router and sand it. You're right in that this can be just as fast when you take template making into account.

Personally, I love my routers and can't imagine life without them. Just my opinion of course.

-Doug

i too use a band saw first and even use it to start my belly bevels if i'm doing one. then i use a spindle sander to finish out the outline. i've got a huge honkin' big makita mounted in a table for round overs and actually use a cheap little black and decker for pockets. it's light and easy to control.

but i'll agree that a router is one of the most dangerous tools in the shop. i nearly took my left index finger and thumb off with one. 'course i was doing something that i probably shouldn't have been and didn't have the base attached so i deserved it but be careful with those rascals..they bite.

i use 2 different routers, a 1/4" shaft and 1/2" shaft, the 1/4 i use for pretty much everything cept the actual body, for that i bandsaw it to with 1/8 of an inch and then take the 1/2 router with a pattern bit, i find that is the fastest and most accurate way for me, sander takes way too long specially on the wood i use like purple heart and rock maple

MzI

Those big Robos anders are supposed to be quite fast. Good for those less willing to use the router. Like you, MzI, I do the bandsaw and pattern bit routine. Later I run around the outside with 320 grit on a spindle sander to polish it up. I suppose, even after routing there is still a fair amount of handwork to make it pretty in the end.

Whatever works, right? So many ways to get to the end result.

-Doug

I've been doing more template/router work than before. It seems to be the easiest way to maintain overall precision, eg straightness of a neck etc. I use a 2 speed spin saw, its quite a rush, :D . One of those kits from Cdn. tire with all the base attachments (plunge, freehand, circle cutter etc.) as well as a cable attachment for dremeling.

The boatyard I recently worked at had the biggest belt sander I've ever seen. It had a 6 ft. X 1ft. vertical belt face. If you can find a couple minutes to borrow the use of one a LOT of future hardship and hassle can be avoided. I've cut neck angles with a perfect face for the fretboard in only a few minutes.

Edited by Southpa