Sealer Questions

Hello again, I have stripped 3/4 of the paint on my guitar and have noticed a few small spots where sealer chipped off with the paint as it was scraped off. Is this bad, or should the sealer be redone anyway? Should I fill the spots with sealer when i'm done stripping paint or should I strip the rest? How would I strip it, would furniture stripper strip sealer just like it did on the paitn when i stripped that? Thanks for the help.

Im not exactly sure what you mean by sealer? Do you mean the layer of sealer below the clear and color coats? If so, then I think you should be stripping that as well.

If youre going to refinish, start from the bare wood...that way you can ensure youll get the best finish possible.

It will take the sealer off of the surface but if you want to go all the way back to square one for the best finish, I'd hit it lightly with 320 grit sand paper. Just be sure not to sand too hard or you'll mess up the shape of the body/neck.

Be especially careful on the edges and around any break angles such as a forearm rest. All you really need to do is open the pores and get the wood fibers to stand up a little.