Guitar from a tree...

My uncle just cut down a huge maple tree and I'm wondering, could I have that kiln dried if I cut it into boards (where would I get this done?)... or I've heard you can leave it in the oven on 200 for like 8 hours. Has anybody tried this? Does it work? I also have access to a huge kiln at my school (I kind of suck up to the art teacher) but it's a pottery kiln. Will this work? If so does anybody know how long, or what temperature? Thanks

-Hugh

:..lj..:

You could do the board-cutting yourself, if you have a big bandsaw. Or you could suck up to the woodshop (is that what it's called?) teacher. Or you could find a real "saw" (you know, one of these big places who do this for the industry).

well ive read in some of the factory tours that they have rooms set at 120 deg. and keep the wood in there for four weeks! so i guess if your mom doesnt need the oven for a while it might work if you set it at 120 deg.! but check in the phone book for a local sawmill, they might have a kiln. or you can rough cut it and let it air dry for a few years.