Polonia

Guest gsrguitars

First I haven't ever built anything musical out of Polonia. I have built a couple of funiture projects out of local stuff. It's also called coffeewood. If you live in the Southern US you can spot it in the sprigtime because it has clusters of purple flowers that look a lot like wisteria. It's a fast grower and will grow on rocks and hillsides. It'll also take root on roofs of abandoned buildings and trash the maonry with its root system.

This is used very heavily in the Orient. A lot of it is harvested and sold to eastern rim buyers and shipped overseas.It is used, so far as I know and have been told, to build traditional wedding or dower chests espcially in Korea. I've had two Korean customers who ordered chests for hteir daughters weddings. They wanted the traditional material but not the traditional design.

The stuff looks a lot like swamp ash. The first time I saw a swamp ash body I was sure I was looking at Polonia. It is fairly open grained with a stripey pattern to the grain. From a woodworkers perspective it's pretty easy to work with.

Guest gsrguitars
First I haven't ever built anything musical out of Polonia. I have built a couple of funiture projects out of local stuff. It's also called coffeewood. If you live in the Southern US you can spot it in the sprigtime because it has clusters of purple flowers that look a lot like wisteria. It's a fast grower and will grow on rocks and hillsides. It'll also take root on roofs of abandoned buildings and trash the maonry with its root system.

This is used very heavily in the Orient. A lot of it is harvested and sold to eastern rim buyers and shipped overseas.It is used, so far as I know and have been told, to build traditional wedding or dower chests espcially in Korea. I've had two Korean customers who ordered chests for hteir daughters weddings. They wanted the traditional material but not the traditional design.

The stuff looks a lot like swamp ash. The first time I saw a swamp ash body I was sure I was looking at Polonia. It is fairly open grained with a stripey pattern to the grain. From a woodworkers perspective it's pretty easy to work with.

...impressive reply! Many thanks for that!

Cheers,

G