Repainting A Guitar

Hi, I'm a newbie at this forum!

Maybe this has been discussed before, so pardon me...

I want to give my guitar another color, but is there an acid or something that removes old paint easily?

What shall i do if i want my paint to "crack", 'cause cracked paint looks good to me!

Hi Vox...I'm new too and I'm wondering the same thing about removing paint...specifically a solid color on a Strat body. I know there's got to be a right way...last time I refinished a guitar, I used an electric sander to take off the old finish, but I'm wondering if it is OK to use paint stripper out of a can?

I'm building a custom Strat...the body that I have is black, but I want to paint it sea-foam green.

If it is a solid color you are doing, there is no need to strip the paint completely. It is a great base to be used as primer. It will save you a lot of work (smooth sanding, grain filling, primer or sanding sealer). If you want your paint to crak, there are paint aditives that achieve that finish. You will have too look them up online or at hobby shops.

If it is a solid color you are doing, there is no need to strip the paint completely.  It is a great base to be used as primer. It will save you a lot of work (smooth sanding, grain filling, primer or sanding sealer). If you want your paint to crak, there are paint aditives that achieve that finish.  You will have too look them up online or at hobby shops.

Thanks Maiden69....OK....if I leave the black on, what should I use to fill scratches, dings, etc. in the original paint?

I too am new at this forum, and have a question. I have a natural finish on my guitar, can i just paint over that? If not, then what do i do? Thankyou in advance :D

I am trying to make a kind of sunburst effect, but with off colors, i havent been able to find anywhere on the web that i can get custom paint job so, if ya know of one of those that would be very helpful too.

Edited by GreenBassist