Neck-thru Mahogany Neck?

Mahogany is a very common wood for making necks. Get a nice quartersawn blank and you should be fine without laminating. However, I'm thinking that it's not a bad idea to get 3 flatsawn blanks and laminate them into one quartersawn hunk'o'wood-- the structural benefits you're already aware of would be there, plus I'd venture that it'd be the same price or cheaper. Or, while you're at it, you could throw in some wood of contrasting colour instead of all mahogany, to produce an attractive (depending on your perspective!) stripe.

Of course, that's all depending on your take on the aesthetic factor. Maybe you don't like the look of laminated necks because of the 'lines'. If it's going to be painted solid, it doesn't matter either way.

So many factors. :D

Just to repeat my original answer, though-- one-piece mahogany is a commonly made neck.

Greg

I like the looks of both a laminated and a solid mahog neck. Because you can, I would go with the solid or one-piece. Please don't paint it.

I'm having an issue with my Melody Maker --mahogany neck n' body...I've got a few outdoor shows coming up and I'm afraid to bring it...because the guitar is really sensitive to temperature changes...it seems to need a couple of hours to get used to a place, and I won't have that kind of time where we're playing...the guitar will stay in tune for a week if I just play it at home, soon as I take it out of the house to play somewhere else, it goes all goofy. That's because my studio is always somewhat cooler than the rest of the world. :D

So I'm bringing my strat instead, because the maple is supposed to be more solid, less prone to swaying with the temperature.

Which is why I'd lean toward a laminated mahogany neck, because you'd figure that would be more resistant to temperature/humidity changes.

So I'm bringing my strat instead, because the maple is supposed to be more solid, less prone to swaying with the temperature.

Nope, it's because STRATS RULE! :D:D

But why do they have to be so damn ugly?

Think I'll do the Bocaster mod to my strat (it's an MIJ from '89 or so)...it's got a nice neck, and I'm starting to get used to that weird sound...

Yes, I prefer the darker looking mahogany over pale-y white maple, but I'm still not sure should I paint the neck. The guitar body is going to be white and I think the transition would look rather ugly.

As for adding the cool stripes, I think my budget wouldn't stand the exotic(dark and stiff) woods. Well, I've still got my crayons :D