Set Neck Depth?

Hey, long time reader, first time poster. I've built a couple of neck-through-body guitars with moderate success, (well, except for the finishes, those don't look as great as I'd like, passable but not perfect. But I'm learning) Now, I'm trying my hand at a set neck. I've been reading up and looking at plans, but most of the plans I've seen have been for LP type guitars that are a good deal thicker than what I'm thinking of working on. (I'm thinking more along the lines of an SG) My question is, how deep do folks make the neck tenon into the body? Or rather, I suppose, how much thickness in the wood of the body below the neck tenon do most people leave when routing the pocket? Is there a potential stability issue here if there is not enough wood here? I hope I've asked this in a way that makes sense.

thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, long time reader, first time poster.    I've built a couple of neck-through-body guitars with moderate success, (well, except for the finishes, those don't look as great as I'd like, passable but not perfect.  But I'm learning) Now, I'm trying my hand at a set neck.  I've been reading up and looking at plans, but most of the plans I've seen have been for LP type guitars that are a good deal thicker than what I'm thinking of working on.  (I'm thinking more along the lines of an SG)  My question is, how deep do folks make the neck tenon into the body?  Or rather, I suppose, how much thickness in the wood of the body below the neck tenon do most people leave when routing the pocket?  Is there a potential stability issue here if there is not enough wood here?  I hope I've asked this in a way that makes sense. 

thanks!

I make my tenons fairly deep (in fact, I go through to the bridge pickup, but that's really not necessary), and nice and thick (say, half the body thickness, at least, if the neck joint/heel carving allows it). Make sure the joint is good and tight, and only remove as much wood as absolutely necessary for the neck pickup, and not a smidge more.

• 1 year later...

Speaking of set necks:

The one I've planned out has the tenon going into the body about 89mm (3.5"). That's most of the way through the neck pickup cavity. The tenon is the entire width and depth of the neck. Is that a reasonable amount of tenon to have glued in?

Here's a not-to-scale drawing:

diagram.jpg